Author Topic: Badger and Shelly of Littlehampton  (Read 1084 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Badger and Shelly of Littlehampton
« on: Thursday 11 October 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Badger married one of my relatives, Charles Wilkinson, in London in 1805. According to the 1851 census for Bath, she was born c1780 in Littlehampton.

In her will, she left some money to the sons of James Martin and Louisa Badger from Littlehampton. Louisa's parents were James Badger and Elizabeth Shelly.

I would be very grateful for any information about Elizabeth and James Badger, who may have been siblings, and also Elizabeth Shelly/Shelley. All three would have been born c1780.

Many thanks,
David

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Badger and Shelly of Littlehampton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 October 12 06:35 BST (UK) »
From IGI & SFHG Members only copies of Littlehampton Records.

Louisa maried James Martin in Littlehampton, 1831.

Those Littlehampton baptismal records that have been transcribed show Louisa Badger was baptised Littlehampton in 1802.   
Her siblings were a John baptised in 1804 (died as John Bodger 1807), William baptised 1809 (Died 1828). George 1811 (in records as both Badger and Bodger), and Elizabeth 1814. There is also a James just recorded as James BODGER in 1807 thought to be of this family.

From what you have written, Elizabeth Badger b c1780 was probably an aunt of the above.

Littlehampton burial records include the deaths of the parents James Badger and Elizabeth Shelly. 
James looks to have died 1825 aged 49 (born c1776) and Elizabeth may have died 1835 when aged 58 (born c1778)

James had married Elizabeth Shelly in Littlehampton in 1801.

Unfortunately the presumed aunt Elizabeth Badger born c1780 and sibling James (born c1776) do not appear in the Littlehampton baptismal records, but there was a John baptised 1784 (died 1795) listed as the son of John (died 1788?) & Sarah (died as a widow 1796).  Could John junior 1784 actually be a sibling of James and the aunt Elizabeth?  If so, that would make their parents James and Sarah as well.

The nearest local Elizabeth Shelly appears in the records as Elizabeth Jelly baptised South Bersted 1785

Roy G

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Badger and Shelly of Littlehampton
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 October 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Roy,

Badger seems fairly common in the area from the end of the 18th century and Bodger mainly before then, so I wonder if the former is a variation on the latter. Also several Burchers, including an Elizabeth and James, but the dates don't quite tie in.

Shelley is fairly common in Littlehampton also, as is Jelly in South Bersted. I imagine that, given verbally, one could be confused with the other.

It would be interesting to know if any witnesses are on the marriage records.

David