Author Topic: Did Ligtenstein return to Canada  (Read 817 times)

Offline Eviand

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did Ligtenstein return to Canada
« on: Friday 12 October 12 20:35 BST (UK) »
I've hit a brick wall tracing distant relatives who married in St. Helier, Jersey in 1960 and who later lived in Rhodesia around 1966. The two individuals are Cornelis (Kees) Abraham Ligtenstein and Margaret Henderson Cameron (widow of Cedric Rollo Swain). Cornelis Abraham Ligtenstein was born in Sidoardjo, Dutch East Indies (abt 1913) and Margaret Henderson Cameron was born in Esteven, Saskatchewan, Canada (abt 1914).

Kees worked for Phillips Radio in the Eindhoven Tech. Laboratories for 4 years before September 1939. He was a pupil pilot when war broke out in Holland on May 10 1940. At the end of the same month he reached England through Belgium and France. In August 1941 he joined the Royal Netherlands Naval Air Service as a mechanic. In 1942 he was attached to the RAF Volunteer Reserve (RAF VR) as a pupil pilot. He was transferred to Canada in the autumn of 1942 where he trained in De Winton. He received his RAF wings in April 1943 still in Canada. He then returned to England and completed further training at Ternhill, Kirton-in-Lindsey, Kinnell near Arbroath, Tealing near Dundee, Cranfield, and Bognor Regis.

In 1947, for only a few months he was a KLM pilot.

Further to the above facts, I can construct the following time line in terms of dates and location.

1958 - Cornelis van der Linderstrasse, Amsterdam, Holland
28 Nov 1960 - Married at the Registrar's Office in the Parish of St. Helier on the Island of Jersey
19 Dec 1960 - Bond Street, St. Helier, Jersey
2 Aug 1961 - Kidbrook Park Road, Blackheath Village, London
1963 - Demar Flats, 371 Schoeman Street, Pretoria, South Africa
19 Dec 1966 - Kent Crescent, Gweru, Rhodesia

I'd like, if possible to find out if they returned to live in Canada sometime after 1966 ? I do hope someone somewhere can remember something !?