Author Topic: Royal Sussex Regiment  (Read 6334 times)

Offline 50net

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Sussex Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 October 12 10:18 BST (UK) »
A very interesting day yesterday. I spoke to my father and he has remembered two things from his childhood. The first is that my Grandmother had a Manchester Regiment cap badge, and that she talked about something called Hill 60. These are the only snippets of information he can recall.

It seems likely that the medal card for Private Albert J Balcombe 53829 Manchester Regiment is that of my Grandfather. I have no idea what happened to the medals, not that it matters to me.

The story of Hill 60 is a complicated one and, to a novice like me, it seems like every regiment had an involvement in it. In an effort to discover a little more, I tried to join the manchesters.org forum, but it seems registration is closed.

Once again, thank you for your valuable help.

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 October 12 10:37 BST (UK) »
Doesn't help with Albert, but in case you haven't seen, the service records for Thomas Balcombe of Stokes Cottage Burwash Common father Frederick are on Ancestry - I assume he is Albert's brother?

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline 50net

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 October 12 10:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jan, yes I have seen the records for Thomas. He is indeed Albert's brother, and the address details are the same, as neither we're married when they went to war.

Incidentally, I now think that the Lance Corporal Albert John Balcombe in the Royal Sussex is my Grandfather's cousin who was 5 years older. It seems my family were not very imaginative when naming their children.

Martin

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 October 12 13:38 BST (UK) »
A quick look at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site shows a number of men with service numbers ranging from 53817 to 53883 all served with the 2nd/7th Battalion Manchester Regiment - so it's a pretty safe bet that the Albert 53829 who served with the Manchesters was also in the 2nd/7th Battalion.

The 2nd/7th was formed in August 1914 at Manchester, initially as a second line unit. It was later sent to France in the early part of 1917. The war diary should be available from the National Archives - but their website is in one of its silly moods at the moment and attempts to access the catalogue end in failure!

jds1949 
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline 50net

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 October 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
I see what you mean about the website. Hopefully it will be up and running soon and my search will progress a little.

Thank you for you help, it really is appreciated.

Martin

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 October 12 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

The Medal Roll Index card for Albert J Balcombe 53829 does not show any service in France

I have absolutely no knowledge of all things regimental so don't know whether that was normal or not.  The only reason I mentioned it is because the other (wrong) entry you found does have that endorsement re: service in France
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 October 12 18:42 BST (UK) »
Carole

Only Medal Cards for men who were eligible for the 1914 and 1915 Stars showed date of entry into a theatre of war, so no dates on any cards of men who saw active service from 1916 onwards. The fact that a man had a medal card, and so was entitled to medals, showed that he must have seen active service somewhere.

jds1949

Offline 50net

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 October 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
I would like a little more help in tracking the war diary if I may. I note that the history of the 2/7th is the same as the 2/5th battalion. I cannot find reference to the 2/7th in the National Archives catalogue. Does this mean that it has been lost, or do I need to read the 2/5th instead?

Thanks to all who have taken an interest in my search, and I am sorry to impose once more.

Martin

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 October 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
Here's the link to the 2/7th Battalion Manchester Regiment:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7355581

It has not yet been digitalised, but you can request a quotation for a copy. I suspect that will turn out to be rather expensive. In theory - if all goes to plan - it should become available to download sometime in the next two years.

jds1949