Author Topic: Victorian place name  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian place name
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 October 12 04:09 BST (UK) »
Victorian place name abbreviations are a pain in the proverbial!

Hard to work out unless you know their geography, if you don't have access to a reference book.

You could always email PROVIC and ask them?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 October 12 06:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for suggesting I ask PROV

But would anyone there really have any more idea than we do - you would need to be some special expert to know every little place, especiallyof those in the early periods when places were named after people or places they knew before and many names changed over the years. For instance; the family I am looking at were supposedly living at "Mountain View" which I suspect was just the name they gave to their property and only those who lived in the vicinity at that time would know of the place, though it is possible someone knows of the place these days, probably only someone in a historical society.

I wonder if the PROV actually have an abbreviation list.

Shirley
Dudley, Tipton, Worcestshire - ATTWELL, FISHER, RICHARDS, INCE, SHEERWOOD
Greenock, MANNERS, CAMPBELL, MONTGOMERY, LECKIE

Offline Kezlyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 October 12 07:25 BST (UK) »
The northern part of Melton is called Kurunjang, as is the local secondary college. It is the indigenous name for the area, meaning both that the name was probably in use in 1868 and also that there would be a number of alternate (phonetic) spellings, maybe including some starting with "Kor" instead of "Kur".

Cheers,

Kez :)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 October 12 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm not sure that Korr is an official abbreviation, there are only 4 Korr births on Ancestry (and no marriages or deaths), three in 1893 and one in 1863. one of them Kenneth Norman McLennan is on trees on Ancestry with an exact birthdate and place as Korumburra,

I think the only way to know for certain would be the certificate

Andy

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 October 12 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for suggesting I ask PROV

But would anyone there really have any more idea than we do - you would need to be some special expert to know every little place, especiallyof those in the early periods when places were named after people or places they knew before and many names changed over the years. For instance; the family I am looking at were supposedly living at "Mountain View" which I suspect was just the name they gave to their property and only those who lived in the vicinity at that time would know of the place, though it is possible someone knows of the place these days, probably only someone in a historical society.

I wonder if the PROV actually have an abbreviation list.
Shirley

Well, they do live in Victoria.  And I'm sure they get asked questions about their very local abbreviations on a regular if not frequent basis.  And I'm pretty sure they have an abbreviation list - I've seen one, years ago, but can't recall what it was on.  Maybe on the BDM CDs?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 October 12 08:38 BST (UK) »
On the Diggers CD's and there are some excellent lists online.  Just google.  Just remember the events will be registered in the District of ***** and the place of the event will be different ie often a residential address or rural locality.  Unfortunately the difficulties that many people have are the abbreviations used by the transcribers which are not consistent.  99% of the time I have no problems. I check entries with the same abbreviations and then if post 1901, the electoral rolls.    Ancestry bdm indexes are full or errors.  My grandmother died in a small town in the Mallee in Vic and Ancestry have her dying at Murchison, Vic ::) ::)  How on earth they mananged to transcribe the incorrect information I'll never know and can't really be bothered anyway.  Better things to do with my time that correct the many errors I find.  Prefer to help those requiring help here ;D ;)  Stepping down from the soapbox :P

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 October 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
I would be directing my request to the Victorian Registry of BDM's not PROV.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 October 12 08:47 BST (UK) »
For your interst, though not greatly helpful  ;)

Of the  births listed at KORR  in 1893 two have consecutive registration numbers. One of these is OWEN RASMUSSEN

When OWEN RASMUSSEN enlisted for ww2 he gave his place of birth as FAIRBANK  Victoria. This is 10 kilometers east of   KORUMBURRRA  Vic.  He enlisted at KORUMBURRRA.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 October 12 09:36 BST (UK) »
There is a place called KOROBEIT which is near Melton/Bacchus Marsh area.  This may be it?
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies