Author Topic: Missing rellies on census? there is hope  (Read 2678 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Missing rellies on census? there is hope
« on: Sunday 29 May 05 06:34 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know to look elsewhere if you don't find rellies on one provider's census!

I was recently very frustrated because I couldn't find rellies in London on one particular provider's 1861 census, though I knew they should be there.  They have since been found, as large as life, on another provider's 1861 census in London.

So if they are missing - look more widely!  You might get lucky, as I did.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline cheeseman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Missing rellies on census? there is hope
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 05 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Sounding thick here. what do you mean another provider?

I have a family missing on 1881, but are on 71 and 91.

Pat
Davies, Swansea,  Rowland Swansea, Drew Norfolk, Stentiford Devon/Swansea, Vickery Devon. Watts Devon. Marsh Sheffield, Chilvers Norfolk. Large Norfolk. Steal/Steel Norfolk.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 05 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Talking about a particular census, eg 1861, if you do not find them on, for example, 1837online, you may find them on Ancestry, and so on. 

I was just trying to say - if they are not on one presentation of a particular census, do not despair, look more widely!

If you don't find people on 1881 (I am in that boat too), I don't know what you do as, as far as I know, most providers use the transcription done by the LDS.

Marie
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline cheeseman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 05 08:36 BST (UK) »
Marie,

Ahhh thought you were going to tell me where to find them...
I see what you were trying to say... just me getting excited!!!!!!!

I wonder if I could find them on the original census... I am going to the records office, I suppose they might have it...

Pat
Davies, Swansea,  Rowland Swansea, Drew Norfolk, Stentiford Devon/Swansea, Vickery Devon. Watts Devon. Marsh Sheffield, Chilvers Norfolk. Large Norfolk. Steal/Steel Norfolk.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 May 05 02:35 BST (UK) »
Pat,

Yes, obviously sometimes people putting censuses online miss things out, from my recent experience.  You might well find them on the original if you can access it.  Good luck!  Hope you do!

Marie

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 05 12:11 BST (UK) »
You can have both missing index errrors, and even have found theat ancestry are missing part of 1901 census.
Searching the images - they are not there!

My gt grandmother and damily are not present in 1861 on ancestry, if I bother subscribing gain on 1837 online, I might look there.
I have her parents names but not age or birthplace

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 July 05 12:45 BST (UK) »
Marie,
Ancestry.co.uk have the 1881 images as well as transcription.
But neither they nor 1837online have my WOOD family in Lambeth  :'(  Maybe their page was lost.
Prue

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 11:30 BST (UK) »
I sympathize, Prue!

I have a few like that, I think some of my ancestors must have decided they didn't want to be counted and dodged the enumerators!!! :)   ???

MarieC

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 14:23 BST (UK) »
I think some of my ancestors must have decided they didn't want to be counted and dodged the enumerators!!! :)   ???

Same here! Obviously not thinking of the headaches they'd cause their ancestors. :P
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.