Author Topic: Missing rellies on census? there is hope  (Read 2680 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing rellies on census? there is hope
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 15:49 BST (UK) »
Don't  give up
I HAVE found my g-gmother in 1861. He mother had died, her father remarried, her age was wrong by two years, she was staying with her uncle, but described as his daughter. And further more they had moved from Yorkshire to Derbyshire.
In the same street is her father, with his sick second wife (how do I know? - occupation - sick in bed!) and the older children.
Remember a lot can happen in ten years, and the family may be temporarily or permanently scattered.
I never did find my father's maternal grandfather in 1871, when I later knew who they were, the family is there without him and his mother.
When you add to mistrnascriptions ands missing pages, I wonder how we manage to find anything

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 06:06 BST (UK) »
I never did find my father's maternal grandfather in 1871, when I later knew who they were, the family is there without him and his mother.
When you add to mistrnascriptions ands missing pages, I wonder how we manage to find anything

Bob

I've got a gggrandfather like that.  Just nowhere in 1861 and 1871 though his wife, supporting herself, is still described as married.  She was a widow in 1881.

I agree - with all the difficulties, I'm surprised we manage to find anyone!!! ???

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 06:29 BST (UK) »
Yesterday I was doing a lookup on the 1901 census for a family of five and found no sign of any of them. I had tried every possible variation with no luck. 

I was about to give up when I decided to look at the image for a totally wrong surname but correct Christian name and birthplace - and there they all were!

It was a shared house and the family I was looking for had all been transcribed under the surname of the other family in the house.

It was a sheer fluke that I found them and is yet another example of how people can appear to be missing from the census.

Regards Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 14:23 BST (UK) »
I was about to give up when I decided to look at the image for a totally wrong surname but correct Christian name and birthplace - and there they all were!

It was a shared house and the family I was looking for had all been transcribed under the surname of the other family in the house.

Hmm, nice to know and worth considering if you know that your ancestors shared a house. Thanks, Darcy! :) Ever thought about detective work? ;)
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 July 05 04:00 BST (UK) »

Vicky, ;D

I was walking on air when I found that family - and they weren't even mine!

It was perfectly clear on the image that it was two completely different families.

Actually the family I was looking for had two different surnames as there had been a second marriage -  yet they were all lumped under the other occupants name. Even the initials of the second Christian names were transcribed incorrectly.

So, look at the image if you get any sort of a match at all!

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 July 05 14:04 BST (UK) »
Will definitely bear that in mind - thanks! :)

I wonder how many times that's happened with other names...
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 July 05 22:43 BST (UK) »
I had lost rels on the 1871 census records ...couldn't find them anywhere.....yet they were on 1861/1881 census.

Decided to search for christian names and ages and just trawled the names thrown up........finally bingo    :D :D :D :D

The only thing right was their first their names.  The surname, ages and birthplaces had been transcribed wrongly.....yet....on the actual page everything was crystal clear and details the same as the other census info I had on them.

I think perseverance is the key (and I have a lot of that!) to finding anyone lost as I find they turn up when you least expect it.  And I've always loved a good mystery  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 July 05 22:51 BST (UK) »
I had lost rels on the 1871 census records ...couldn't find them anywhere.....yet they were on 1861/1881 census.

Decided to search by christian names and ages and just trawled the names thrown up........finally bingo    :D :D :D :D

The only thing right was their first their names.  The surname, ages and birthplaces had been transcribed wrongly.....yet....on the actual page everything was crystal clear and details the same as the other census info I had on them.

I think perseverance is the key (and I have a lot of that!  ;D ) to finding anyone lost as I find they turn up when you least expect it.  And I love a good mystery  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 July 05 23:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry everyone for the double post  :-[...gremlins have struck yet again.  :-[ :-[

Had trouble posting the first one ...didn't realise it had already gone through.  Can one be deleted please?

Juddee