Author Topic: Edward Jones  (Read 22715 times)

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jones
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
I have been going over some paperwork  that My dad had sent me a few years ago.  Found the start of a family tree, his sister had started. It had Edward on it, Edward b.Sheffield 1876,Railway Ganger. and that was it for him,
for his Wife Mary Jane, she'd written down parents names as Anne Lewis & Thomas Jones. but not Idea where she would have got this from, as The census records I had found for Mary has the right siblings listed on it, which tallies up with her Obit notice, with parents William & Elizabeth.

Zoe
Jones, Thomas, Carr, McDougall, Tatlock, Naylor, Gordon, Brentnall, Parry, Brotherton.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 12:55 BST (UK) »
I was wondering how Edward acquired his interest in Abergafren Farm.In the latter censuses it is occupied by Pierces,with Robert Pierce marying a Lizzie Jones in 1910.I thought perhaps he had inherited,but I can't find an appropriate record.
Lizzie Jones is given as born 1885 Borthlas,Merionethshire which appears to me to be a unique property near Llandecwyn Station rather than a town(www.old-maps.co.uk- coordinates  261881-337591).However tracing her and the property back to 1891(ref 4644  75  1) she appears to be the daughter of a Henry Jones and no sign of any Edwards.

Regards
Roger

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 13:21 BST (UK) »
I have no idea how he acquired it, I know his son William had the farm after him with wife Ellen, or Nell as they called her. Edward died in 1956, then the son who inherited the farm died a year later in 1957.

But what I do find Interesting is the name Henry Jones. the reason why I say this is a while back I found an 1881 English census with an Edward b. in Sheffield living with a Henry Jones, wife Ann & 2 other children Sarah J, Rose. they where living in Northampton at the time, 2 Bristol Street,. On Ancestry hints this came up as a possible connection.

I haven.t been able to find a connection, a friend has tried too. We found some info on his wife. but nothing on Henry before or after the 1881 english census.

Probably not connected.

Regards

Zoe
Jones, Thomas, Carr, McDougall, Tatlock, Naylor, Gordon, Brentnall, Parry, Brotherton.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 19 October 12 09:29 BST (UK) »
I see at one point,in another thread,the speculation re Henry Jones and the Edward with him in 1881(ref 1554 18 29).Perhaps Edward H of 1911 is Edward Henry not Edward Humphrey(there is a possible record that Edward Humphrey,registered born in Dolgellau district,dies aged 18)

Perhaps the following two records could explain a lot of your difficulty in locating people and possibly more:

1871  4685  87  62
(Henry,in Sheffield, given as born Warwickshire,with daughter Sarah(and wife Sarah not Hannah)

1891  2140 128  7
(Henry,occupation as 1881,born Warwickshire,in prison,widowed)

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 19 October 12 13:53 BST (UK) »
It'sn a very weak possible connection,but Henry Jones(if I have thhe right man),is given as a bricklayer's labourer,and Reuben Corfield of the 1891 census is described as farmer and bricklayer.There seems to be a number of Corfield bricklayers/labourers in the borders/West Midlands

Regards
Roger

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 19 October 12 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,

This sounds really interesting, as you know  I couldn't find any info on Henry before 1881 or after. But would explain alot, but the only thing is according  to his daughter's birth cert he is down being Edward Humphery Jones.

So in your oppinion do you think there is a link or I am just getting just totally confused. do you think your post on the owners of Abergafren before Edward & your last post.

Sorry if this sounds daft,

Resgards

Zoe

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 19 October 12 14:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry Roger,

I post my reply while you had send me another reply.

Regards

Zoe

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 19 October 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
I wish I knew is the plain answer-it could be me who is confused.I have been trying to tease out connections from the characters and candidates you have considered in the past.It does seem definitive that he is given as Edward Humphrey Jones on the daughter's birth certificate you refer to.This does not necessarily mean he is not related to Henry the bricklayer's labourer- perhaps this man was Edward Henry or Henry Edward at birth using the Henry on censuses,but known to his son as Edward.
I thought originally that there were 4 candidates born Sheffield in the right time frame,3 of whom I could account for up to 1891(two die,one remains in Sheffield) leaving,I thought, the "Apperson Jones" mystery,but perhaps Henry's "son" is the fourth and I have missed a birth by virtue of district definition.
The death at 18 I referred to was for a Humphrey Edward Jones,whether or not he is the Edward Humphrey Jones born Dolgellau district is debatable.Perhaps final elimination of this possibility could be achieved by a polite enquiry to the local office.It would probably need a NorthWalesBMD reference rather than GRO.
I had hoped that with such long employment on the railways Edward could be identified from A******y's Railway Employment datsbase,but that has also proved frustrating.
It's that drawing board again.....

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 19 October 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to compile a "census sequence" for the candidate Edwards to clarify the position,probably tomorrow now.
Along the way I think Edward Humphrey Jones,birth registered Dolgelly 1875 is at:-

1881  5477  65  7
1891  4586  31  5
His father is an Edward,but a flannel weaver and he is still alive in 1901

And a record I have not come across before

1891  4560  20 13
Edward Jones,farm servant,born 1874 Sheffield,working for a Methodist preacher(Enoch Watkin James) near Aberystwyth.

Regards
Roger