Author Topic: Brickwall help please  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Witchy67

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Brickwall help please
« on: Sunday 04 July 04 11:20 BST (UK) »
I am looking for birth/sibling/parents details for William (Henry - middle name not often used) STANLEY. I have information that he was born Windsor (Windsor Castle) in 1820. He came to Australia in 1837 (i dont know how) and played at the opening of the Royal Victoria Theatre NSW that same year. His occupation is listed as Professor of Music. (at 17????). He was also in the army for 5 years at some stage. As enlistment was not happening in the colony till well after 1837 could he have joined at age 17 in the UK?

Any ideas on how I can get information on this and how I could verify birth if I dont know his parents or siblings names?

Hope someone can help.

Di
www.tribalpages.com/tribes/witchy67

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Brickwall help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 July 04 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hallo :I assume that you are certain about William Henry STANLEY's full name, year of birth (+or- a year) and place of birth and that the birth would have been registered near to his birthplace. On that assumption you could consult a pay-to-view website at http://1837online.com  which would enable you to search the index of birth registration for a birth registration which matched your data and decide whether there is a match. If you go to the 'Common Room' part of this website under the subject '1837.com' you can see a selection of views on that service. If you were able to decide that there was a 'match', you could continue to the next stage of paying the fee in return for a copy of the actual birth certificate which would give you details of parents, birth address, occupation etc.
I think it would be best if your other questions were left in abeyance until you get confirmation of his birth.
Hope this helps Clincher

Offline Witchy67

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 July 04 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply. My problem is that he was born before 1837 (1820). I didnt think they had records before 1837 on that site.

Di

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 July 04 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Civil registration didn't start until 1837, before that you are reliant on parish register baptism entries.  I've had a look on the IGI and can't see a match for your William Stanley on there.

Do you have a marriage or death certificate for him?  These may provide some more clues.  If he stayed in NSW I see that their records can be searched online at http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm.

I don't have any great military history knowledge but I would imagine that it was quite possible that he went over to NSW with the British Army.  The State Library of Queensland has some information (http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/scd/famhist/brit_army_oz.htm).

Hope this is of some help.

Sasha.  :)

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 July 04 17:33 BST (UK) »
I goofed and read your message too quickly. I'm sorry for gumming up the works. :'(