Author Topic: 1851 York Census - Anne Woodward  (Read 2786 times)

Offline andyhayes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 York Census - Anne Woodward
« on: Wednesday 17 October 12 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have traced an ancestor to York in 1851 where she is described as a servent working in Low Petergate.  The Head of the household is George Hall (Brewer)

Can anyone help as to what business she was working at is it a public House?

Any information with regards to Anne Woodward or George Hall would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Andy

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 York Census - Anne Woodward
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

In case it helps, the full address where she was working as a 13 year old servant in 1851 was:  67, Low Petergate, Holy Trinity Goodramgate, York
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
In 1861 number 66 Low Petergate was the Fox Inn run by Mira Ellis a widow. I cant see that number in an address search for 1851, but it maybe that George was a brewer for the pub.

Interesting that in 1851 there was a visitor in George Hall's house called Anne Ellis, I wonder if there is a connection?

You might find this interesting:
62-68 LOW PETERGATE  YORK
A REPORT ON A PROGRAMME OF BUILDING RECORDING

http://www.iadb.co.uk/ayw7/documents/1006_buildingreport_2004-35.pdf
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 October 12 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

I think that the premises was most likely a public house, as George was certainly a publican, but also a brewer who brewed for local pubs. In these days when huge breweries dominate the scene, in York in the 1850's there were numerous small brew-houses going on, maybe a bit like micro-breweries of today.

George Hall died in horrible circumstances on Tuesday 16th February 1858 at the premises of the Harcourt Arms, Church Street, as this article in the York Herald illustrates. I have abbreviated the text, but the whole inquest can be found in the newspaper online at most libraries.

YORK LOCAL NEWS .
The York Herald (York, England), Saturday, February 20, 1858; pg. 10; Issue 4452. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

On Monday February 15th 1858, George Hall, brewer, until lately a publican in Petergate, living at Rougier-street, Tanner Row, York was brewing on the premises of Mr. Wood, the Harcourt Arms, Church Street, for Mr. William Harrison of the Eagle Tavern, Goodramgate, accompanied by a  William Smith. By four o’clock in the afternoon, George was quite drunk, but not as bad as earlier, as he had a meal. At that time the liquor which they had brewed was boiling in a copper for more than an hour. The copper was placed in an elevated position in Mr. Wood’s brewhouse, and a platform, near its top was gained by a step-ladder. Fixed at the top of the copper was a pump used for the purpose of raising the liquor out of the mash-tub. The edge of the copper is surrounded by brickwork which slopes inwards, and hence whilst the boiling process is going forward, it would be dangerous for anyone to get on top of the copper. About 4 0’clock, Mr. William Harrison went to the brewhouse to ask for some “tappy” or grain washings for his pigs. George Hall agreed and was then seen to climb the ladder up to the copper. Then a splash was heard, and Mr Harrison & Mr. Smith found George lying in the copper amongst the newly made ale. They managed to drag him out, and he was removed to the hospital where he was found to be dreadfully scalded. He died later on the Tuesday morning about half past three. He left a widow and four children.

Tom

Offline andyhayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 October 12 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tom, what a way to go.