Author Topic: Martin surname in Sligo  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Aussie_trekkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Kevin Martin Irish Olympic Team 1948 &1952
    • View Profile
Martin surname in Sligo
« on: Wednesday 17 October 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
I have found John Martin born around 1850 in the Uk census working in Liverpool . He puts his place of birth as Sligo.
I have been searching for my John who's parents were John and Margaret in Dublin records.
He had a sister Charlotte who was born about 1843.
I can find no marriage for his parents or baptismal cert for Charlotte in Dublin, which has me looking outside of this area.
The John I am searching for was a tailor as is this one. I may be a long way off the mark but I am at a brick wall in Dublin. The records on IFHF do not have  a Charlotte or John born with parents John or Margaret.
Any suggestions  Are all the records on line for Sligo through IFHF ?
much appreciate any help you can offer
Martin-O'Byrne- Hayes-Rohan-O,Brien-Cullen,Flood-Kavanagh-Thompson-McFee-Brazil-Mitchell

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Martin surname in Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 12:30 BST (UK) »
Previous thread on the Dublin board for reference :

Martin Family Dublin

It may be that any written records for the parish your Martin family lived are not available or have been lost, or simply not online - doesn't necessarily mean John wasn't born in Dublin.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Aussie_trekkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Kevin Martin Irish Olympic Team 1948 &1952
    • View Profile
Re: Martin surname in Sligo
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
My family only appear in the records in Dublin after 1852
No sign of Charlotte until her marriage in 1864.
No sign of a marriage for the parents or her birth.
There is a John Joseph 1852 and a Thomas in the Dublin records that could fit but no way to confirm this. 
I had given up hope until I came across the UK 1871 census for a John Martin born Sligo a tailor.
I have my John marrying in Liverpool in 1875.
He too was a tailor so I am running with the chance that the family move to Dublin from Sligo and settled in Grattan Ct.
Then he moved to Liverpool sometime before 1875.
I can recall a possible record for a marriage in Elphin in 1826 for a John Martin to a Margaret Healy .
I can also recall visiting when I was a child  family" friends" in Galway city in the 1960 who were Healy.
Now I am wondering if there is a family connection here too. 
Don't have a copy of the ref as I think I dismissed it at the time.
I know its a wild card but I have just had another brick wall of 4 years SMASHED with the help of the forum family.
Thanks
Martin-O'Byrne- Hayes-Rohan-O,Brien-Cullen,Flood-Kavanagh-Thompson-McFee-Brazil-Mitchell