Author Topic: 1840 freeholders reference  (Read 11637 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1840 freeholders reference
« on: Saturday 20 October 12 07:36 BST (UK) »
A Joseph Hall of Toberhuney is listed on the 1840  freeholders list. Could someone please help me to interpret the reference?
There is a reference to $20 (pounds!) but no reference to land size. Does that mean he owned a house and no land?
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1840 freeholders reference
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 12 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I am not sure what the document you refer to is but I think that the spelling should be TOBERHEWNY in the District of Lurgan. In 1864 there is a Sarah Hall renting some land, offices (barns etc) and a house. The whole townland seems to belong to Lord Lurgan. http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearchSee

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 12 08:49 BST (UK) »
hi,
I'm referring to the "list of registered freeholders in the county armagh portion of the lurgan union with their acres and valuation". It is on the lurgan-ancestry website
Joseph Hall of "Taberhewney" is listed, but with no acreage.
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 12 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You should note that all Freeholders with a valuation of £50 and £20 do not have their Valuation or Acerage listed, it just seems to be those with a freehold valuation of £10.

Thats what the original list showed so I didnt omit any information from it when putting it on my website:

http://lurgan-ancestry.co.uk/index.php/registered-freeholders-in-the-armagh-portion-of-the-lurgan-union-for-1840/

Andy.
lurgan-ancestry.co.uk, Lurgan and the McElroy family from Lurgan.

Offline maura08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 17:18 GMT (UK) »
No he didn't own his own land, he was a tenant of Charles Brownlow, and the property was worth £20

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/Freeholders/SearchResults.aspx?PageOffset=2

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 12 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying that for me Maura,
I havent ever looked at these record before, and coming from Oz the freeholders concept is still a bit fuzzy to me. If his land had a value of €20 would Joseph have been likely to be a farmer? He had about eight children, was about 50 years old, died in 1846. The other complication is that there seem to be a couple of Joseph Halls, and Derrycor is mentioned in another separate family document.  could the same Joseph have leased land in both Toberhewny and Derrycor at the same time? 

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 November 12 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I am trying to make sense of the document, so that I can figure out what Joseph's occupation might have been. Have not used this resource before!

Hi,

You should note that all Freeholders with a valuation of £50 and £20 do not have their Valuation or Acerage listed, it just seems to be those with a freehold valuation of £10.

Thats what the original list showed so I didnt omit any information from it when putting it on my website:

http://lurgan-ancestry.co.uk/index.php/registered-freeholders-in-the-armagh-portion-of-the-lurgan-union-for-1840/

Andy.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 November 12 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the names of his children?  If so, his occupation would be given on their marriage certificates.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 November 12 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes thats a good point. Two of his children came to Australia. I assume the others stayed around Lurgan. I was lucky to find refs to the childrens baptisms,  from   1817 to about 1830, just one line in a parish register. I also have a line in another register recording the parents  marriage, but it just says joseph hall and ann atkinson and the date, nothing about parents. Were more detailed marriage records available from 1845, the date that i would expect the other children to marry? I havent found anything yet. Thanks for your interest.