Author Topic: Jane Robinson  (Read 1404 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Jane Robinson
« on: Saturday 20 October 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I'm looking for Jane Robinson who it is thought came from Dublin. Sadly I have very few concrete facts regarding Jane. She migrated to Australia sometime before 1854. She died at Wellington New South Wales in 1914 her death certificate gives her parent's names as Charles W and Jane. Unfortunately I think the Charles W was her husband not her father. The Jane I'm unsure of.
There was also some suggestion that she may have been descended from the Irish travellers nothing to pin this on only family hear say. There is also no marriage record that I can find although I do know she was married in Mudgee according to her obituary. She worked as a nursemaid following her arrival. It seems that she spent her entire married life around the Wellington/ Mudgee area of New South Wales. No headstone to give any clues. This was washed away in local floods.There is also no record of her eldest daughter's birth although we do have a photo of her aged about 5.
Any suggestions of where I should look next would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Wren

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Robinson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 12 12:23 BST (UK) »
Not going to be easy with so few clues... any idea of a year of birth for Jane, the denomination of this Robinson family, and which part of 'Dublin' they lived ?

It can refer to the city, county or suburbs so covers quite a few parishes..

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Might be worth trying another search for a marriage cert for Jane

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 12 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane
She was 90 at the time of her death so she was born c1824. The women in the family were staunchly Catholic. I've just done another search for marriage under various options no joy. NSW records begin in 1856, some church records are available for earlier but at present not Jane and Charles Crowder her husband. I knew I was shooting in the dark, just thought it was worth a shot. Without parents names its almost impossible.
Thanks
Wren

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 12 12:41 BST (UK) »
you would need either some details of parents, or a more detailed location for such early records - ideally both.

Since you believe your Jane was from Dublin, did you eliminate the Jane Robinson you posted about on the Co. Meath boards somehow ?

Jane Robinson Old Castle

if so maybe mark that thread complete..

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 12 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Can you give us a list of her children's names and the order they were born in. With irish naming patterns we MIGHT get a clue from them ?

Did she have any siblings in Australia with her ?

Tara

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara
Her children were William born 1860, Matilda born 1862 no birth record, ( I knew her daughter), and Jane 1869.
Given her estimated birth date from obit she would have been in her 40s when she had Matilda and Jane. Her obit may have been wrong of course. Also I'm not certain about siblings I've found nothing as I'm not sure when Jane came. No shipping lists other than the famine girlos have a Jane Robinson that fits the criteria.
Thanks
Wren