Author Topic: Any ideas what it says ?  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas what it says ?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 October 12 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian, I tend to agree with Graham that easter refers to a direction, I think the witness is a realation of Janet Huison, I think it maybe says William Huison. I have googled every combination I can think of and come up with nothing, all I know is my Wallace family and my Wardlaw family into which they married didn't move very far from the area I mentioned earlier.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 October 12 03:15 BST (UK) »
ADP, thank you for that link, I notice that near easter camp was a lime quarry. This makes me think again was this a temporary habitaion much like that of the navvies, built to accommodate the workers at that time.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 October 12 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Seoras,

I have changed my mind by about a mile as to the location of Easter Camps on the newer maps. It is about a mile to the west of where I placed it earlier.

1857 OS map

Then by  the time of this next map, the road had been re-aligned to make room for a quarry.

1898 OS map

And on to the modern map where an industial estate and poultry farm have replaced the quarry.

Current OS map

And

Google Maps aerial view of Camps

ADP

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 October 12 09:27 BST (UK) »
I doubt very much if it was a temporary habitation. The quarry is probably very much later than the date of the baptism. See my earlier post for a possible explanation of the name.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 October 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
I tend to agree with Graham that easter refers to a direction

So do I. As he says, it is a very common element in place names. It never entered my head that it might refer to Easter! Actually, I'd be surprised if it were occupied only at Easter - quarrying would have gone on all year, except when bad weather made it impossible (if it ever did!).

I think the witness is a realation of Janet Huison, I think it maybe says William Huison.

Very likely. It could be Huison, but Huison and Howison and Howieson are all spelling variants of the same surname, so it doesn't really make much difference ;)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 October 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
I have changed my mind by about a mile as to the location of Easter Camps on the newer maps. It is about a mile to the west of where I placed it earlier.

Lokks likely. In the 1832 map it is clearly west of Wester Cocksiedean, which has to be the Coxydene on the modern map. Curious that the 1857 and 1898 maps don't seem to show Cocksiedean/Coxydene.

However the 1832 map doesn't make it clear whether Dubend was east or west of Easter Camps! Probably east, rather than coming between Camps and Easter Camps.

This is the 1894 25-inch map
http://maps.nls.uk/os/25inch-2nd-and-later/view/?jp2=82877724#jp2=82877724&zoom=5&lat=2119.81579&lon=12585.63158&layers=BT
which shows both East Camps Cottage and Coxiedean. Think it probably nails it?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 October 12 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Forfarian, I do love going over those old maps. Thanks too to all who have contributed, your help is much appreciated.