Author Topic: Royal Artillery Forts in Portsmouth/Gosport/IOW  (Read 3794 times)

Offline hurley42

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Artillery Forts in Portsmouth/Gosport/IOW
« on: Sunday 21 October 12 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been on the trail of an ancestor (John Nixon) who served in the Royal Artillery between 1868-1875. For most of this time he was posted with the 21st Brigade RA at Woolwich and Portsmouth/Gosport according to WO pay records. But the forts are not specified as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have knowledge of the actual location of elements of the 21st brigade on a fort by fort basis for the period in question ? Perhaps such records no longer exist.

I have searched the general history of the forts in the area and have discovered that there were many such facilities there or under construction during the time in question.

John was present on IOW (and married there early in 1875) but I am not sure for what periods he was present there or at which forts in particular.

Any suggestions or tips for further research would be most welcome.

Cheers

Robert

Offline Gunner 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Artillery Forts in Portsmouth/Gosport/IOW
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Robert:  There is a two-volume set entitled Battery Records of the Royal Artillery that indicates where each battery/company of the Royal Artillery was located on a month-to-month basis.  Volume one covers the period 1716 to 1859 and volume two covers 1859 to 1877.  The is a manuscript available of the third volume (it has never been published) that covers the period 1877 to 1898.  I have all three volumes and will help you the best I can.

In 1868 the only battery of 21st Brigade, RA that was at Woolwich was 2nd Battery, 21st Brigade, RA landed at Portsmouth on HMS Troopship Serapis on 18 Jan 1868 and moved to Woolwich where it remained until 24 Jun 1868. It then embarked at Woolwich on the SS Lady Eglinton and landed at Portsmouth on 25 June 1868. From July to December 1868 it was at Gosport. From January 1869 to May 1870 the Battery served on the Isle of Wight. on 17 May 1870 the battery embarked on HM Troopship Tamar at Portsmouth Dockyard and sailed at 9.20 am the next day. It moored off Gravesend and the battery disembarked on 20 May 1870 and marched to Shoeburyness. On 23 May 1871 it moved by rail to Woolwich. On 18 October 1871 the battery embarked at Woolwich on the SS
Lady Wodehouse and landed at Jersey on 23 October 1871. It remained at Jersey until moving to Portsmouth on 14 June 1873 where it remained until January 1876.

Woolwich was the home of the Royal Artillery which maintained training facilities and a depot there.
Shoeburyness was a training area for the RA and was used for firing exercises. At Portsmouth, Gosport, Jersey, and the Isle of Wight the company probably manned the guns of coastal fortresses but I do not know which ones.

Gunner 1

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

There were a great many forts in that area, see map; All those on Portsdown and down the west side of Gosport face inland. Some are still in use by the Navy or are on their land.

I have previously found several sites giving histories of each fort etc but dont seem to be able to find them tonight. A search for Palmerstons forts_portsmouth should bring it all up.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 20:24 GMT (UK) »
This society may be able to assist:

http://www.palmerstonfortssociety.org.uk/

You can also try here:

http://victorianforts.co.uk/

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurley42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 January 13 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gunner 1

Thank you for this detailed account. I am surprised that so much information exists for the RA. Looks like Vol 2 has some of the answers to my questions.

I believe John Nixon was a member of the 7th Battery but I am not absolutely sure when he joined that unit. Prior to joining the 21st Brigade John was a member of the 6th Brigade (briefly). I will check the pay records again to see if my memory is correct.

John was present at Woolwich in April 1871 as he appears in the Census. This is the fact that enabled his military record to be uncovered as he bought his way out of the RA in 1875 (ie no pension file exists).

John 915

Yes I began to realise just how complex the story is when I looked for info on the forts around Portsmouth in that era. Thanks for your comments.

Little Nell

Thank you for the links. I was aware of the 2nd link but not the first !

Cheers

Robert

Offline hurley42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 January 13 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gunner 1

I have now checked my notes and can confirm that John Nixon was a member of the 7th Battery/Company 21st Brigade from April 1869.

He had a military career that lasted some 7.5 years.

From his pay records it appears that he was present at Portsmouth until June 1869 then at Gosport followed by Woolwich until March 1874 and finally Portsmouth again from April 1874 - November 1875. It appears that he was detached to the 2nd Divisional Depot Brigade at Woolwich from 1869-71.

So the key question is where (which forts) the 7th Battery (21st Brigade) was posted to from 1869-75. Does the 2nd volume of the RA Battery history help in this regard ?

Cheers

Robert

Offline Gunner 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 January 13 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Robert:  7th Battery, 21st Brigade was Gosport from January 1869 to May 1870; at Woolwich from June 1870 to April 1872; at Golden Hill, Isle of Wight from May 1872 through January 1876. Unfortunately the volume does not indicate which forts the battery was at.

Regards, Dick Flory

Offline hurley42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 January 13 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dick

Many thanks for this info.

I thought getting the detailed battery info was a bit ambitious some 140 years after the event !

Cheers

Robert

Offline OVLHS_Secretary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 June 13 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Don`t know if you can help, but would you have any information on the 10th Brigade RA between 1860 - 1882?

My Great Great Grandfather, 358 Henry George THURLOW served with that Brigade during his 20 years + in the RA.

I have some info:

1861 he served in the 10th Brigade Royal Artillery at Blockhouse Fort, Fort Monkton (now used as MI6 training establishment), Fort Elson, Portsmouth, Isle of Wight)

1866 he went to Canada (Fenian Raids).

1875 - sailed to Pembroke Dock in 1875 from where he retired c.1882.

Any information you can add on the 10th Brigade to fill in the missing years, would be greatly appreciated.... :)
Can assist with all Ogmore Valley queries.
DANIEL
THURLOW
GATHERCOLE