Author Topic: Charles Willey (c1825 Gravesend -1905 Portsmouth)  (Read 3043 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Willey (c1825 Gravesend -1905 Portsmouth)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 October 12 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Keyboard

Thank you for the reference to the Frances Banks in 1841 in Lewisham. (Lewisham Village does get a mention in this family later). So, I will look further into your record.

I know that you can not guess in this game; however, I will look for a Mrs. Elizabeth Willey who died post Oct 1822 to 1824 at Wellclose Square, as address was also given at the time of the baptism of Richard Horatio Willey. Thus, if she has died, and Charlotte was brought into the home to rare the baby (Richard Horatio Willey), Richard Willey, the Younger, now takes a fancy to the 22 year wet nurse/servant/housekeeper, and she falls pregnant in 1824/1825 with Charles Willey, followed by another 3 chn.

No doubt that he will be a Willey boy as he is only 3 years younger than Horatio. As I eluded to before, Horatio has grown up with these half siblings, so he would have included Frances Willey in the Will if she had been a "real"  a half sister. She was left out of the Will and entitlements, thus, she has to be a relative of the Banks family.

With the help of many contributors, we have well researched the Banks Family of East Ham/Bermondsey/East End, but as you can see, you can not take things for granted, that is Charlotte Banks and her relationship with Richard Willey, the Younger.

Another resource also gives the Clerkship papers for Richard Willey, the Younger and Richard Horatio Willey which are also invaluable in this research.

I meant to say that the Sophia Banks (nee Peak) from Deal, Kent/Thanet Is is Charlotte's mother and the Sophia Banks was her older sister. And the Frederic(k) Willey with Sarah Banks in 1851 and 1861 (Snow Hill) will be another sister and Charles' younger brother. My wife is a Banks anddescends from an older brother Henry Banks, a currier.

Regards,

Keith

Hi again, other than lack of baptisms, can you give a reason why their is such a range of "Willey" births ie Charles c1825 and then a grouping from c 1833? ie was Richard in the Army for a number of years, or was Charles possibly not a Willey?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Willey (c1825 Gravesend -1905 Portsmouth)
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 October 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply keyboard.

I have no explanation as to why there were no other Willey chn 1827 and 1829 and 1831, other than Charlotte Banks may have conceived and the children died in infancy. If and when I find some birth evidence for the other chn we may get clues.

I have not found a Will for Richard Willey, the Younger who died 1838. I now might take some of the names in his father's Will (1811) and the relatives mentioned in his son's Will (1844)  and seek others who might have some folklore/records on this family.

There is much on many of Charlotte Banks' siblings; however,  only one Willey was mentioned with any of that line:   Frederic (k) Willey mentioned living with spinster Sarah Banks at 77 Snow Hill - 1851 (18 year old shopkeeper b. Islington); and same address 1861 - a shopman.

When Frederick Willey died 1 Dec 1862 113 Brunswick St Haggerstone (the address of his mother Charlotte Willey as per the 1861 Census) his Probate of under 300 pd was granted to the Affairs of Her Majesty's Treasurer.
Thus, virtually confirming that he was living with Charlotte's sister.

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End