Author Topic: 1890 census  (Read 518 times)

Offline Rossini

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1890 census
« on: Monday 22 October 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone with access to the 1890 US census might kindly oblige me by looking up the 1890 census for a THOMAS ARMSTRONG in Hudson, South Dakota.      Just to complicate things, I believe there are 2 Hudsons in SD.

Thomas was born in England near Carlisle in Cumberland in 1867 and moved to Middlesbrough.   He was in the 1881 M'bro census, but then vanished.    Only recently I stumbled across a newspaper cutting of his death notice in M'bro in 1899 which stated that he had lived in Hudson, but he obviously returned home.

Fingers crossed,

Gordon.

Researching: Fairbairn, Davidson (Scotland); Shaw, Douglas (Ulster), Healey, Armstrong, Denney (England).

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: 1890 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 12 11:58 BST (UK) »
HI Gordon,

The 1890 Census was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1921 and only remnants remain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1890_United_States_Census

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Rossini

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1890 census
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 12 12:01 BST (UK) »
Now isn't that just like my luck      :)

Thank you Sandra, now that you've drawn my attention to it, I do seem to recall reading something about that fire once before.    Thanks too for the link, will have a read and this time hopefully 'digest'.

Best wishes,

Gordon.
Researching: Fairbairn, Davidson (Scotland); Shaw, Douglas (Ulster), Healey, Armstrong, Denney (England).