Author Topic: Have I Made A Mistake?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Have I Made A Mistake?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 October 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
The 1867 is on Familysearch.org,no more info than their names,but you do get the exact date  ;D

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NLHB-PZQ

;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 October 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
I should have added you can order the film from the familysearch resource centre to be viewed at a Centre near to your home, or contact the Local RO you have the date they may do an e mail look up for postage and copy.....instead of the £9.25 charge levied by GRO

There is alos Kent OPC site as well........

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 October 12 19:46 BST (UK) »
What is very frustrating is that I know that Robert must have died between 1885 (when my Great Grandfather was born) and 1891 when Fanny was recorded as a Widow almost certainly in either Maidstone or Hastings but I can find no death record that matches  for either a Robert Johnson, Robert Aaron Johnson or Aaron Johnson with any degree of certainty.

Herbert is recorded as being born in Maidstone Kent in 1885, by 1891 the family are in Brighton,
Robert JOHNSON 's death could be this:

Robert Johnson death Dec qtr 1888 Hastings RD,  ref Vol 2b 9, age 49

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 October 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
I do however find a Robert A Sellar on the 1861 Census (RG 9; Piece: 389; Folio: 144; Page: 65). Looking at the census, I think, it's clear to see that the names and relationships have been written down wrong and that Robert A Sellar is in fact Robert A Johnson with his year of birth being calculated as 1839 in Rotherhithe and his parents as Aaron and Eleanore.

Looking at the census, the family are ALL JOhnson however the daughter of the family listed above Robert is married, presumably to a SELLER and the reference refers to herand not her younger siblings.

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 October 12 23:57 BST (UK) »
I have however found a baptism for an Aaron Johnson whose parents match, whose dates match and whose location matches perfectly. I thought that Aaron and Robert may have been two separate people because I can't find a death index for Aaron nor can I find him on any census. I then had to assume that Robert and Aaron where in fact the same person and this was why in 1861 Robert was listed as Robert A. Sound plausible?

Parents AARON & ELEANOR JOHNSON
St Mary Rotherhythe
Eleanor Elizabeth bp 4 Dec 1823
William bp 24 Dec 1826
Samuel Robert bp 8 Aug 1828
George Fenning bp 8 May 1829
Maria Isabella bp 14 October 1832
Susan bp 14 October 1832
Charles Henry 14 Sept 1834
George Samuel 28 Sept 1836
Aaron b 6th October 1838 bp 7 Nov 1838
Charlotte bp 30 Jan 1842

Looking at the frequency of the births of the children and on the basis there were none that died at birth , I would think that AARON is your ROBERT

Still think you need that marriage entry be it from the Parish Register or the gro certificate