Author Topic: John Petts born 1813  (Read 1375 times)

Offline ajpmjp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Petts born 1813
« on: Tuesday 23 October 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the parents of John Petts born in Belper? 1813. He married Sarah Lee at Crich in 1832
Petts Derbyshire
Petts Yorkshire

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Petts born 1813
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have found very little info but I will list that info in the hope that someone else can carry it along.....

I have found two listings of the marriage to Sarah Lee.

The first on the IGI is listed as John PETTES and Sarah LEE 21 Sep 1833. The second listing on FreeREG has a John PETTS and Sarah LEE 30 Sep 1833. There are two witnesses on the FreeREG listed as Joseph MARTIN and Hannah PETTS, which may give you another lead in locating John. Perhaps Hannah is a relation.

They have two children listed on the IGI.
William, bap 14 Feb 1836
Hannah, bap 22 Oct 1837 with a death listing for 19 Mar 1843.

What is your interest re John? Is it through his son Wiliam?

I think that you need to locate John through the various censuses to gain info re his birthplace. I found a John PEET in the 1881 census born c1815 aged 66. He is a widower living at 9 Hopping Hill, Belper. Occupation General Labourer. He gives his occupation at his marriage as a labourer but I am not sure this is your man. This John gives his birthplace as Alderwasley, Derbys.

There is two listings for the death of a Sarah PETTS on the FreeBMD. The first is June 1847, Belper 19 386, and March 1849, Belper 19 368. So it looks like he would have been a widower in the 1851 census.

If someone can locate him in this census you may have his birthplace and can work back from that.

Sorry that there is nothing more 'concrete',

Regards,

Mark.

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 08:29 BST (UK) »
I think that I have found William in the 1881 census, lodging in Alfreton with the Archers !!!

William PEAT Single Aged 48 Coalminer, born Crich, Derbyshire.

That means we have PEAT, PEET, PETTS and PETTES.

If this IS William, that means that they must have had more than two children as Hannah has passed away and William is single......unless I have the wrong William.

Mark.

Offline ajpmjp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark
Thanks for taking interest.John petts is my great great grandfather. I have traced him and his wife Sarah(Lee) on the wirksworth.org site. According to the site he was born in Belper in 1813 and died in Belper in 1889, tho' I have info that he is buried at Crich. Sarah died 1885 In other info he was married in Crich in 1832/3. They had 9 children Sarah 1834, William 1836,Hannah 1837 died 1843,Mary Ann 1840, Millicent 1843,John (My Great Grandfather) 1847,Emily 1851,George 1855 and Eliza Charlotte 1858.

I think the witness Hannah could be John's sister as she and he were witnesses at the wedding of Ellen Petts and Benjamin Walker at Crich in 1833

It gets complicated because the diferent branches of Petts seem to all work from the same list of names when it comes the  children.

Thanks

Michael
Petts Derbyshire
Petts Yorkshire