Author Topic: dorothy jones  (Read 6519 times)

Offline billigee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
dorothy jones
« on: Tuesday 23 October 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me? i have Dorothy Jones aged 12 she was an adopted child living with my great grandparents
 Joseph and Selina Bate in cradley worcs, Dorothy on the 1911 census was born in pershore worcestershire, she was born about 1899, does anyone know who her parents were thanks
Billingham, Bate,Hughes,Worton cradley area, Shepherd hef Ellis, Bateman,s.wales, Fryer norwich, and london

Offline FIFTHWHEEL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: dorothy jones
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 17:56 BST (UK) »
billigee,

Dorothy Mary Jones birth record is as follows:-

Registered in Pershore District - First quarter of 1899

Page 364

Volume 6c

You might consider ordering a copy of the birth certificate from the General Register Office which may give details of her parents.

Regards

Fifthwheel
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 18:23 BST (UK) »
billigee,

Dorothy Mary Jones birth record is as follows:-

Registered in Pershore District - First quarter of 1899

Page 364

Volume 6c

You might consider ordering a copy of the birth certificate from the General Register Office which may give details of her parents.

Regards

Fifthwheel

The problem is (a) I do not think it is Dorothy Mary, and (b) their was a Dorothy Rose Jones b Sept qtr  1898 Pershore 6c 343?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline billigee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 18:53 BST (UK) »
thanks for the help,  what i am looking for, is Dorothy any relation with our family, and if i look at every birth certificate, i could end up spending money for nothing, i wonder if she was in the 1901 census anywhere. we do have a Thomas Jones who married my Great Grans Sister, i wondered if it could have been one of their eleven children, but no Dorothy, also they were living in Cradley in 1901 thank you Glen
Billingham, Bate,Hughes,Worton cradley area, Shepherd hef Ellis, Bateman,s.wales, Fryer norwich, and london

Offline athrodyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 12 02:14 BST (UK) »
I too am looking for Dorothy Jones' adoption. It does seem, however, that Dorothy Rose Jones married James Evans in 1921 at St. Peter's in Cradley; Q1 6c31. Ref: 013/404/002
She died in 1984.
Joseph & Selina are rather distant relatives to me through Richard Bate & Martha Darby, who married 1734.
Hope this helps.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
I think Dorothy is the one living at Beech Farm Oldnall Cradley 1901. Daughter of Thomas Jones born Hereford 1861:-

Thomas Jones Head M 40 Carter on Farm Colington Hereford
Adelaide Wife 41 Lower Sapey Worcs
Alfred Son 16 Winslow Hereford
Annie Da 15 Winslow Hereford
Joseph Son 14 (Ledstone Wafer) Worcs
Martha Da 13 (Edvin Loach) Worcs
Rhoda Da 11             "
Henry Son 10            "
Francis Son 8            "
Cyril J. Adopted Son  5 Brickhampton Worcs
George Son 4                         "
Ada da 2 Cotheridge Worcs
Dorothy M da 1 Shelsey Beauchamp Worcs

Some of those Worcs Villages are difficult to read.  I would imagine that Thomas working on a Farm would have moved from Farm to Farm, hence the different places of birth.  Dorothy's birth would have been Registered in Pershore, does not mean she was born in Pershore.  There was no legal adoption until 1928, would have been done between the Jones and Bate family.  HTH Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 12 19:22 BST (UK) »
So that is the Dorothy Mary in 1901
But it doesnt prove that this girl went on to live with the Bates. Or that she didnt.

Even if we find Dorothy Rose in 1901, it wont prove she did or didnt go to live with the BAtes

Have you any clues as to whether the Dorothy with the Bateses had a middle name and if so what?
Then we can be sure which is her birth, and then her birth cert will be the way to go to be sure of her parents.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 October 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
No it's not her, just checked she is Dorothy May and still with Thomas and Adelaide in 1911, back to the drawing board!

Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline billigee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 October 12 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thank You For That information linell, i thought we had solved who Dorothy was,  I would have put money on Dorothy being Selinas Sister Adelades daughter. but well spotted that she was still living with the jones family in Oldnall, its what makes family history interesting and sometimes frustrating thankyou Glen