Author Topic: Lole, Kibworth  (Read 23647 times)

Offline Aussie67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lole, Kibworth
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 19 April 15 08:09 BST (UK) »
Comments on the Lole Family Tree to all.
I had ‘information overload’ after being told about this connection. It’s taken me a few days to get myself sorted.
The comments below are as I work down the list that I previously sent.
Your views would be appreciated
1.   It would appear that William, Joses and Cornelius are brothers. This is confirmed by their various Wills (I have to accept the interpretations given).

2.   William Lole (b.c. 1697) and wife Mary Roper. It concerns me that the gravestone shows an age for Mary of 93. I doubt that William would have married someone 20 years his senior!
William is listed in the Poll Books and Electoral Role in 1741 in the Gartree One Hundred at Rolleston
3.   I have suggested that Mary Lole, who married Thomas Robinson is also a child of Joses Lole and his wife, Mary.

I also suggest that there could have been a brother Cornelius born between Sarah and Daniel. Sarah Lole and her husband, John Gibson had 4 children and one was Cornelius Gibson born in 1774. Cornelius is new to the Gibson family. Could Sarah have named him after a brother?

4.   As Joses did not name Alice and James in his Will, I have assumed that they died before 1790

5.   Joseph Lole (b.c. 1760). I have recorded him as marrying Mary Bunney BUT there is another marriage on 18 Nov 1790 for a Joseph Lole married to Elizth Smith at St. Mary, Leicester. Could Mary have died? Or were there TWO Joseph Lole born about the same time.

In the 1841 Census a Joseph Lole (b.c. 1760) is living in St. Mary’s Leicester with the following Loles people - Daniel (b.c. 1796), Elizabeth (b.c. 1785), John (b.c. 1827), Elizabeth (b.c. 1831), Emma (b.c. 1833) plus James Dann (b.c. 1793).

6.   I did find the marriage of Ann Lole to William BEAL in Kibworth Beauchamp.

7.   According to the information that has been posted Cornelius Lole  (b.c. 1720) married on 2 June 1760 in St James, Clerkenwell to Ann Williams. There is also a mention of Henry (b.c. 1750 (baptized 28 April 1750 at St Paul, Covent Garden). Not sure if this is related!

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 19 April 15 20:15 BST (UK) »
2.   William Lole (b.c. 1697) and wife Mary Roper. It concerns me that the gravestone shows an age for Mary of 93. I doubt that William would have married someone 20 years his senior!

I would agree - but here's the gravestone, which seems pretty definitive!

I am trying to see if I can sort out some of these late 1800 Loles in London and to try to work out how they link to the Leicester Loles (as they clearly do). I'm hoping to go back to the records office within the next couple of weeks and want to look up a couple more things there too. I'll report back on any new findings!

Aussie, re pt 1 in your post above - Cornelius names Joses as his brother but where did you get William from, and which William?? I would like to think that it was William in KB (gravestone pic here) but there is a long gap between his year of birth and Cornelius's. Not insurmountably long, but too long for me to just assume they were the same generation. Have I overlooked another will?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Aussie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 19 April 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

(From Aussie, re pt 1 in your post above - Cornelius names Joses as his brother but where did you get William from, and which William?? I would like to think that it was William in KB (gravestone pic here) but there is a long gap between his year of birth and Cornelius's. Not insurmountably long, but too long for me to just assume they were the same generation. Have I overlooked another will?)

No, I do not have another Will in mind. My assumption that William was a brother to Joses and Cornelius comes from taking Mary Lole's Will as it stands - she refers to nieces and nephews. I would like to be corrected. It is usually to allow about 20 years between marriage and the last child. The gap is bigger then that between the 'brothers'. It could be possible if the mother married young OR that the father had remarried and had another child (or children).

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 20 April 15 12:34 BST (UK) »
OK, chewed over this some more and this is my reading/summary so far -- open to further suggestion/correction!

One error which I realise I may have made is re Mary Lole's will and Cornelius Lole/Sarah Gibson. Did she describe them as cousins or as nephew/niece? I can't remember and I can't find my jottings. Either way though, I think it was generationally flexible as Sarah seems to have been Cornelius' niece, so they were of different generations.

That aside it looks as though we have the following:
1674 - Christopher Lole's will proved Laughton
also 1674 - John Lole, son of Christopher of Laughton, is apprenticed to a haberdasher in London.
(I wonder if C's will left money to cover J's apprenticeship?)
so John was probably b around 1660ish?

John Lole, haberdasher of London, named as paying tax for an apprentice in 1813.

John Lole, haberdasher, of London - will proved 1733 - names (amongst others) Daniel and Cornelius Lole (?relation to him?), and his brother William of Laughton, who has an unnamed wife. William gets £10 and clothes; Daniel gets a coat; D and C both get some money for a ring.

Cornelius Lole, gentleman of London, marries 1760 aged 40. Will 1780 gives his property at Laughton to his brother Joses Lole; also names Benjamin Sims of Marston, Northants, and cousins Timothy and Joseph Sims.

Meanwhile William Lole yob around 1697 m Mary Roper in Kibworth in 1730. William leaves everything to Mary when he dies in 1765; Mary mentions various cousins, or nephews and nieces, including Cornelius Lole and Sarah Gibson, in her will in 1770. Wording suggests C is from Walgrave, Northants, but I will check that. Sarah was def living there by then, Sarah Lole having married John Gibson.

Cornelius's brother Joses is in Laughton by 1754 but records don't go back further than this for Laughton. He and his wife Mary have several children named above, earliest baptism being 1754 (but probably had at least 1 child - Sarah - before this). Joses's will names his children and sons in law.

There are other Loles in London in the late 1600s but I can't see a Leic connection.

I hope to go to the records office again within a fortnight so will double check Mary's will and also have another good look for Christopher's will from 1674; and anything else I can find!

Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Aussie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 01:17 BST (UK) »
It's a very wet and stormy day here and we've been told to stay at home. So I've had a quick search for information.
I have now got a copy of Cornelius Lole's Will d. 1780 and will try and transcribe it sometime today.

Have found at least two Lole's apprenticed to people in London. Isaac Lole son of Robert Lole of Burbidge, Leics. (1680) and John Lole son of Chrstopher Lole of Laughton, Leics (1674).

Now for a coffee and a break from searching.

I can't access any Wills from Leicestershire.

Offline Aussie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 01:18 BST (UK) »
It's a very wet and stormy day here and we've been told to stay at home. So I've had a quick search for information.
I have now got a copy of Cornelius Lole's Will d. 1780 and will try and transcribe it sometime today.

Have found at least two Lole's apprenticed to people in London. Isaac Lole son of Robert Lole of Burbidge, Leics. (1680) and John Lole son of Chrstopher Lole of Laughton, Leics (1674).

Now for a coffee and a break from searching.

I can't access any Wills from Leicestershire.

Offline Aussie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Sorry about the duplication above. The information wouldn't go! So I tried again.

I have transcribed the Will of Cornelius Lole (d. 1780). It's taken quite a while! It is attached. I'll try and attach the original in another post. Sorry for the gaps. Others might be able to fill in the gaps.

Offline Aussie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 07:29 BST (UK) »
Oops. the file for the original Will of Cornelius Lole is too big!

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 16:05 BST (UK) »
I don't think you'd be allowed to post the entire will anyhow, because of copyright regs.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)