Author Topic: Mary Walsh born Mayo 1845  (Read 3306 times)

Offline aber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Walsh born Mayo 1845
« on: Wednesday 24 October 12 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am searching for information about my great grandmother born approximately 1845 in Mayo, Ireland.  I have a  copy of her marriage certificate.  It states

Mary Walsh aged 22 married Thomas Coupe aged 28 on December 7 1867 at St Bartholomew's, Whitworth, near Rochdale.  Mary's father was recorded as being John Walsh a labourer. 

I have information from census records about their subsequent family, but I am interested in finding out information about Mary's birth, parents, siblings and ancestors.  I have a copy of 1881 census records from family search that state Mary living at Wardle Mill, Wuerdle & Wardle, Lancashire, England was born in Mayo County Ireland, in 1842, but this date does not agree with age of 22 at marriage in 1867.

Any suggestions or help gratefully received.
Aber

I acknowledge copyright of census records and have recorded details accurately.
Howarth- Rochdale
Coupe- Rochdale
Walsh-Mayo,Ireland

Offline aber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Walsh born Mayo 1845
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 12 02:25 BST (UK) »
Family names that might help distinguish Mary from others.  She named her children John Thomas, Robert, James Ivan or James William, Ellis, Joseph, Margaret Ann, Sophia, and Sarah Alice.  Ellis is a very prominent family name in subsequent generations and may feature in previous generations.  Family tales say her mother was Spanish but this may be just a tale.  Spelling of her surname varies from Welsh to Walsh.
Howarth- Rochdale
Coupe- Rochdale
Walsh-Mayo,Ireland

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 12 09:29 BST (UK) »
Mary's birth was well before the start of civil records so you need to check for church records to see if you can locate a baptism. To this this you need two vital details : the denomination of your Walsh family, and also their precise location - i.e. the townland, town or parish.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

The best place to try to find a more precise place of birth is probably using the English census. Later returns, particularly the 1911 census, often show a more detailed birthplace.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately I have very little information about Mary.  In the 1871, 1881 and 1891 census she declared she was born in Mayo, Ireland, but in the 1911 census she declared she was born in Wardle, Lancashire!

Regards
Aber
Howarth- Rochdale
Coupe- Rochdale
Walsh-Mayo,Ireland