Author Topic: Ruby Stephenson  (Read 2542 times)

Offline claretnblue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ruby Stephenson
« on: Wednesday 24 October 12 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been trying to find Ruby Stephenson after 1911, can anyone help?

Ruby was born 22 May 1896 at 1 Dene Terrace, Chirton, North Shields.  Her parents James and Annie Stephenson (Butchers Shop Owners)

She was baptised 25 November 1896, St. Mary's Church, Easington Village.

She appeared in the 1901 census living with her parents at Low Row, Easington Village, then in the 1911 census she was at boarding school in Great Ayton, North Yorkshire.

Then I can't find her in any records, can anyone help find what became of her?

Regards,

Claretnblue.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby Stephenson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 12 23:03 BST (UK) »
As she was at boarding school in 1911 could her parents have died  ???

Have you found any death records for them.  ???

Ruby may well have married at some stage, there are several in Yorkshire in various years.

Sorry I cant be more helpful
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline claretnblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 October 12 07:32 BST (UK) »
Her father James died 1904 in Easington Village leaving £149 and the Butcher business to Ruby's mother Annie who continued to run the family business.

Ruby's mother Annie died 1913 Easington Village, leaving £869, two dwelling houses and four butchers shops to her sons.  Ruby is mentioned in her Will, however this was written in 1910, and Ruby was not an Executor in 1913.

Can find all of her brothers no problem, however Ruby is a mistery after 1911????

Regards,

Claretnblue

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 October 12 12:07 BST (UK) »
From that information I can only conclude that she either emigrated, married away from the family home or was living away from it, probably in an area that you might not expect her to be.

As she is a beneficiary I doubt she had emigrated though. 

In her mothers will is she mentioned by her full name Ruby Stephenson or just my daughter Ruby  ???

The fact that she was not executor could lead me to think that she was not in the area, but of course that's just my hunch.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 12 18:10 BST (UK) »
Ruby is unlikely to be an executor as she was young and she had brothers.  Men took precedence in that sort of thing.  When the will was written she was only 15 or so.  I assume you have searched for her under Stevenson?

Offline mim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 October 12 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I also have an interest in the Easington Stephenson families. Just wondering why Ruby's birth place is listed on 1901 census as

Easington and not North Shields? Also the 1911 states Easington 'Yorkshire' which seems to present another problem as there is

an Easington in Yorkshire as well as Co Durham.......so is this the correct Ruby at the Quaker School in Great Ayton?

mim

Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 October 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
That's a good point.

Is there another Ruby in 1901 that might account for the Yorkshire one?
There's a birth Bradford dist 1898 is that near Easington?

Your Ruby in 1901 has a ? after daughter for some reason (on the census)  Hmmm.

Still could well be her and as she was in Yorkshire at the time it was assumed to be Easington Yorkshire
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 October 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
Annie her mother has 2 sons living with her plus a niece and nephew so why would young Ruby be sent away to school  :-\

How many brothers did she have as one child has died by 1911.  Could be a clue if she had 4 and it was Ruby that had died hence her not being the one in Yorkshire and elusive.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline claretnblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 October 12 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Ruby was definitely Annie's daughter, she was referred to many times in her Will (penned in 31 Jan 1910).

Her mother was married twice, James was her second husband, and they had connections up in Newcastle area, which is probably why Ruby was Registered up there.

Ruby had four other siblings, namely John Newby Stephenson (1881), Gertrude Stephenson (1883), Arthur Stephenson (1886) and William Stephenson (1893)

There are no other Ruby Stephensons of her age in 1901 census, so the Easington in the 1911 census being written as Yorkshire was most probably an assumption.

Ruby's family were quite well-to-do for the area, her uncle John Magee was a ship owner and owner of company Crosby Magee &Co Limited (West Hartlepool & Cardiff) he also had shares in North of England Steamship Company Limited and property in Genoa Italy. (John left £87,480 in his Will 1928)
Her mother Annie owned Butchers shops in Easington, Horden, Murton and Seaham.  So I assume Ruby would have been sent to boarding school to become a young lady, which was done around that time.

I can't find any trace of her after 1911 though, frustrating :-(

Best Regards,

Claretnblue.