Author Topic: Births or baptisms before 1813 Plymouth area??  (Read 965 times)

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Births or baptisms before 1813 Plymouth area??
« on: Wednesday 24 October 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I am trying to locate either the births or baptisms of my two ancestors from the Plymouth area without much success. I am looking for a William Allen McDonald born around 1805 in Plymouth and Elizabeth Worth also born about 1805 in Plymouth. Was hoping that I would be able to find something in the index sheets I ordered from the Devon FHS but these only go back to 1813.

Was kindly pointed in the right direction concerning their marriage which was in 1826 in East Stonehouse, would this marriage entry have any reference to their parents? If so I can order that from Devon FHS.

Can anyone help or point me in the direction where I can look?
Surname Interests.

Allin - Sutcombe, Devon * Blake - Cornwall, Cardiif * Campbell - Durness * Cockburn - London and Scotland * Elsey - London * Facey -  Holsworthy, Devon * Falconer - Durness and Eddrachillis * Hartfall - Gosport * Hopkins - Barry and Sully * Howell - Cheptow * Larkin - Bromley, Kent * Lambert - Sturminster Newton, Dorset * McDonald - Compton Gifford, Plymouth * Moxley  - St Arvans * Smith - Bethnal Green * Taylor - Portishead * Wickenden - Southsea * Yeo - Cornwall and Devon

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Births or baptisms before 1813 Plymouth area??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 14:58 BST (UK) »
Wm Allen McDONALD was baptised at Plymouth St Andrew Church 18th Nov 1804, son of Danl. & Elizth. An Elizth WORTH was baptised there 30th March 1809, said to be born 30th March 1808, dau of Charles & Grace WORTH.
A Donald McDONALD married Elizabeth ALLEN at Plymouth St Andrew 31st October 1796. Donald signed his name. There is no doubt that the 1804 entry reads Danl. and that the 1796 entry reads Donald. I suspect it may be a matter of hearing a possible accent. There was a baptism for a Donald McDONALD son of Donald & Elizth 23 March 1802 - a brother for Wm Allen. (Donald McDONALD infant was buried 3 July 1806). Given that Wm Allen & Eliza named one of their children Donald, I think we can assume that the father's name should have read Donald.
Charles WORTH married Grace HODGE at St Budeaux 26 Oct 1799. See also http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engdevon/Plymouth/st_budeaux.htm
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Births or baptisms before 1813 Plymouth area??
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information

Very much appreciated.

Andy
Surname Interests.

Allin - Sutcombe, Devon * Blake - Cornwall, Cardiif * Campbell - Durness * Cockburn - London and Scotland * Elsey - London * Facey -  Holsworthy, Devon * Falconer - Durness and Eddrachillis * Hartfall - Gosport * Hopkins - Barry and Sully * Howell - Cheptow * Larkin - Bromley, Kent * Lambert - Sturminster Newton, Dorset * McDonald - Compton Gifford, Plymouth * Moxley  - St Arvans * Smith - Bethnal Green * Taylor - Portishead * Wickenden - Southsea * Yeo - Cornwall and Devon