Author Topic: Emanuel Hawksworth b1819 Fenney Bentley  (Read 1057 times)

Offline chestnut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emanuel Hawksworth b1819 Fenney Bentley
« on: Thursday 25 October 12 15:10 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please.  Emanuel Hawksworth (my 3xgt grandfather) was born in 1819 in Fenney Bentley Derbyshire.  I have been informed that he married Elizabeth Swettenham, although I dont know where or when.  I have found another Emanuel Hawksworth from Ashbourne who married in 1826 his wife was Mary Baldwin.  My Emanuel 's father I think was William Hawksworth, who I have been told married a Mary Bowler, although I cant find any records to prove this.I would love to find out if possible when William was born, married & died, as I am confused because there are 2 Marys' with similar surnames.  Emanuel (1819) eventually went to  live in the Manchester area, and died in 1885.  I also think William was born in the Clifton area of Derbyshire.  As a child I was told that our family history went back to the plague village of Eyam and as Fenney Bentley is not far from Eyam I am very keen if the stories from my grandparents are true.  I very much hope that someone can help me with research or tell me where I can get the information.     Thank you very much.
LATHAM Dudley Staffs.Gloucester
SMITHSON Bury Lancashire
SLACK Sutton Macclesfield

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emanuel Hawksworth b1819 Fenney Bentley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 12 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a marriage for an Emanuel Hawksworth on 26th November, 1843 at Manchester Cathedral to an Elizabeth Swettenham .

You can obtain a photocopy of the marriage from Manchester Archives for £2.50. This would give you both fathers names.
See:
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/448/archives_and_local_studies/464/church_register_list/4

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline chestnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much the information, I will certainly look into getting the mariage cert.
LATHAM Dudley Staffs.Gloucester
SMITHSON Bury Lancashire
SLACK Sutton Macclesfield

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 12 15:47 BST (UK) »
Just for information.......I am looking at the fenny Bentley Baptism records.........there is no Emanuel 1819......though he obviously existed as shown on later Census records........

I have found:-

William Hawksworth baptised 16.11.1817
Samuel Hawksworth baptised 14.11.1822..........both sons of William and Mary

Interestingly there is Emanuel Hawksworth 1794..born at Clifton........and he is still around in 1841

Several census records show Emmanuel 1819 married to Elizabeth.........

I should tell you that there are no Certificates as such before 1837..but you can send for a copy of the Birth entry as it should appear in PR's

I had a very similar request to Manchester Cathedral in my own family.

Good luck

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....