Author Topic: Hinchelwood family mystery  (Read 2659 times)

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hinchelwood family mystery
« on: Thursday 25 October 12 16:29 BST (UK) »
I'm in need of some help and advice regarding one of my ancestors who seems to have gone missing between 1851 to 1901.

James Hinchelwood was born on 19 Oct 1851 to Alexander and Sarah Hinchelwood in Woolwich and baptised on 14 Dec 1851 at St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich.

He reappears in the 1901 census at 36 Dicey Street, Woolwich as a Dock Labourer aged 49, married to Ann (aged 37) with four children (Arthur 17, Maggie 13, Maude 12 and Stephen 5). I then have him at 32 Dicey Street in the 1908 Electoral Register and his death in Q2 1910 in Greenwich.

I do have a possible sighting in the 1891 census at 41 Jackson Street, however James is stated as age 29 and Ann as 34. The children, however, do correspond with the addition of Alice, aged 5. I'm assuming that this is the family.

I would ideally like to find the marriage of James and Ann, as I don’t have proof of her maiden name. I do have a copy of her death certificate on 16 Mar 1941, aged 84, therefore born 1857 making the 1901 census age incorrect. I also have a birth certificate for Alice in 1885 showing Ann’s maiden name as a scribble! This could be either Batten or Matthew (or anything else!) The birth certificate for Arthur (Samuel  Arthur on the cert) has a maiden name for Ann that could be Battin. I’m not sure if I can post these here for help on recognition.

Further complication is that Hinchelwood has a number of derivatives. I don’t believe that either Ann or James were literate. Also there is a large Batten family in Inkpen, Berks. Ann’s birthplace is stated as “Impkin, Berks” on the census forms.

All very puzzling!

I do realise that there are issues with the 1861 census in Woolwich but would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can move this forward. If anyone can actually find the marriage of James and Ann I’d be very grateful (and frankly astonished!)

Many hopeful thanks in advance

Peter
Percival, Wilson, Hinchelwood, Page

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hinchelwood family mystery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
mis transcribed as jane not james  1891  piece 533 folio 74 page 24

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 12 16:57 BST (UK) »
mis transcribed as jane not james  1891  piece 533 folio 74 page 24

Agreed Doran54, they're the census details that I've quoted
Percival, Wilson, Hinchelwood, Page

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 12 17:12 BST (UK) »
Charles Owen James son of James and Anne HINCHELWOOD of 8 Edward Street, private R.A. (Royal Artillery) baptised St John Woolwich 6 Feb 1881 (born 3 Jan 1881).  Charles looks to have died 1884 Woolwich area but born Isle of Wight http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

There is a service record for a James HINCHELWOOD available (Pay per view) born 1853 Woolwich http://www.findmypast.co.uk .............. if this is him then it may show movements and other info (that of my gt gr grandfather gave marriage details).

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 12 17:24 BST (UK) »
1881 census

52 Lower Arundel Street, Portsea, Hampshire

Ann HINCHLWOOD servant mar 25 b.Newbury, Berkshire could be her living in with the CARELESS family maybe ???

Son Charles O J is with his paternal grandmother, Sarah HINCHELWOOD, at 8 Edward Street, Woolwich ........ the same address as given on his baptism.  He is age 4m or 4w born Sea View, Isle of Wight.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 12 17:31 BST (UK) »
would this be his parents marriage

john alexander hinshelwood occupation fisherman on the 2 may 1843 to sarah harrison at
 lime house st annes tower hamlets, his father  same name, deceased
 her father christopher harrison ropemaker   .from the parish reg

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 12 17:51 BST (UK) »
if the answer is yes to my last post  there is a tree on anc****y

that shows he had a brothersamuel born 1849 and on the 1871  census samuel is in the navy
also shows the father being imprisoned for 4 years  on the2nd april 1860 for larceny and ??

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 October 12 18:43 BST (UK) »
  i have searched but like you can't find a marriage for james and ann on the tree i mentioned she is ann batten but they have no marriage either, there is a marriage for samuel hinchelwood father alexander  a boiler maker at woolwich 1879 to an elizabeth margaret keeble address of groom 8 edward street woolwich winesses frances  jane keeble and charles goodyear

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 October 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
James Hichelwood of the Royal Artillery was stationed in Malta in 1871.

He was discharged at Woolwich in 1881 after the date of the census!  He signed up on 22 October 1870 at Woolwich.  On his record it says his next of kin was his mother Sarah.

An alternative marriage for his parents:-  ???

Gillingham, Kent.
15 June 1834 Alexander Hinchelwood to Sarah Price

There is also a Service Record for Alexander Hinchelwood born 1807, Kilmarnock and he served in the Royal Engineers between 1825 and 1847.  There are also seven Hinchelwood births in Gibraltar between 1838 and 1846.  These records can be found at http://www.findmypast.co.uk

A bit more grist for the mill.  ???

Tony  :)