Author Topic: Looking for info on Ruben Smith father of Emma Smith New Brunswick Canada  (Read 12723 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Ruben Smith father of Emma Smith New Brunswick Canada
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 28 October 12 06:27 GMT (UK) »
1861 census Northesk Smiths including  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ryw/
Thomas Smith age 10, c.1851
Robert Smith age 12 c.1849

Northesk District 1, Northumberland
West Indian!  ...  Presbyterian
relationship to head of household is listed as Grandson
sheet numbe 38   line number:41 & 42

Can anyone see into this household
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Cindy Paquet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 28 October 12 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Son and I were trying to figure out how this family ended up in the West Indies, and the Irish connection..Father was here yesterday and was very insistent that they were Irish..he also said that Emma was adopted out..my guess is that when Theotiste remarried to Leblanc she was unable to care for her...that's why she was a domestic at 12 yrs living with the Savoy family.

We figured that the ancestors being Irish were indentured slaves in Barabados, with Rueben and James leaving to go to New Brunswick..it makes sense..

I will look into these names,that may be the connection to Rueben, although you seem to have better luck than myself.

Thanks
Cindy

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 28 October 12 14:08 GMT (UK) »
You can't make sense of anything until you have some solid proof there are too many reasons they might have been there...Some of the Islands were under British rule...He or an ancestor may have gone there as a soldier, either Britain or the colony of Canada to protect their interests ( imports being more important than human lives) He may have been a merchant seaman or just a sailor...

I am sure there are many other scenarios....but that is why you need to keep digging.  ;D 

I gather you had other information on Theotiste as you seemed to know she was remarried...She is a lodger with the same family....so she has not abandoned the child. She may have been unable to work.
Not sure what she was labeled as before crossing it out on the 1891 census. Indi___l?  pauper  (Perhaps Indigenal for Indigenous but back then it would have meant of the area)
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 28 October 12 14:24 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census household for Thomas and Robert Smith ...

Margaret Edgar 64 Widow Scotch
Janet Edgar Daur 30 Scotch
Margaret Edgar Daur (???) 14 Native (would mean b. in New Brunswick)
Robert Smith 12 Grandson West Indian
Thomas Smith 10 Grandson West Indian

On Ruben's marriage to Theotiste his mother' name is given as Ann EDGAR.

Can't see Margaret (above) being the daughter of the elder Margaret, given her age? Perhaps actually a granddaughter? Age could also be wrong, of course.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mongoose2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 28 October 12 14:53 GMT (UK) »
To clarify a few things that me and the wife have discovered.

Reuben Smith (father of Reuben) b circa 1830 possibly Scotland marries Ann Edgar who we think is Scottish born circa 1830

Reuben (son) marries Theotiste Paulin in 1883 (dispensation granted May 1883)

Reuben says his parents are as above
Theotiste says her parents are Frances Xavier Paulin and Angele Frigault

Angele and lover are convicted of Xavier’s murder in 1874, Lover is executed and Angele is sentenced to life and released in 1895. She was pregnant at the time of sentencing

Reuben and Theotiste have 2 children as far as we can tell Emma b june 1879 (illigitement) bapt 1881 and Annie Jane b July 1883 babt July 1883.

In October 1883 Reuben (son) dies aged 35 he was born West Indies in 1848 according to the death but 1854 according to census. In 1881 and 1871 he is living as a lodger in the household of W S Brown where the marriage took place, he was a tinsmith.

Problems
1.   No marriage for Reuben to Ann Edgar
2.   Cannot see Theotiste in household of Xavier and Angele I have 1871 and 1861
3.   Theotiste seems to be in household of D’Assie Paulin and Veronique Hache

Further I have Theotiste Paulin b 1856 in 1861,1871,1881 in the household of D'assisse Paulin and Veronique Hache. I also have the household of Francois Xavier Paulin and Angele Frigault 1861 & 1871 (as I said above Xavier is murdered in 1874 and Angele is sent to jail) but nowhere is there a Theotiste Paulin in Xavier's household

Barry
James, Farr in Cornwall and all the others on my website

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 28 October 12 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Kitty is likely Theotiste...( dit Kate, Katerine, Katie, Kitty) She may also show up as Marie ( the actual first  name given to a great deal of Catholic female children, including some men)

Jane W Edgars and sister Margaret are in Hamilton City, Canada West / Ontario in 1852 ...Polarbear will get the heads of household for us I am sure ( and hopefully be thanked for her efforts, since that is our small reward for all our time devoted to such a search...) *see added information below J.J.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 28 October 12 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Baptism ...

Theotiste Poulin
24 Nov 1854
Parents Xavier Poulin and Angele Frigau
In Caraquet

Added: Theotiste was b. 11 Nov 1854

Gosh knows where she went though if not with parents. Could be with grandparents or ?

The word next to pauper would be indigent, which means the same thing.

I'll post on Jane and Mgt in a bit.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 28 October 12 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully Polarbear sees this first, I had modified the earlier post to add but she had come online and posted , I hadn't seen her entry...Sorry, P.B. :P

Nevermind here they are as Edgon good thing they were transcribed as Edgars elsewhere http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census52/SplitView.jsp?id=27218

Father is George occ. Ship carpenter b.Scotland I see Margaret must be Margaret Jane or reverse
 ( parents often use their middle names to avoid confusion with a namesake which always makes me wonder, why bother, then?)  added* See more in reply 40

Offline mongoose2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 28 October 12 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Xaviers household in 1861
xavier 30
angele 30
justine 12
ortence 10
kitty 8