Author Topic: Sweden: BERGHULT to SVARTLOCK  (Read 1274 times)

Offline toru4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sweden: BERGHULT to SVARTLOCK
« on: Sunday 28 October 12 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have been told that Carl Johan JOHANSSON BERGHULT b 28 Nov 1848   Harby,Ljungby Par.Kalmar 'became a marine and was given the surname SVARTLOCK.
Can anyone advise me what date  and where he became a marine and any details of him on the 1890 household examination rolls.
Many thanks

Moderator Comment: title modified to include the surnames.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden: BERGHULT to SVARTLOCK
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 January 14 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Here he is in the 1890 Household records in Ljungby....

Svartlock, Karl Johan - b. 1848 - Father
Jonsdotter, Sofia - b. 1850 - Mother
Karl Ludvig - b. 1873
Johan Gottfrid - b. 1875   
Hilma Kristina - b. 1880   
Anna Maria Natalia - b.1882
Ester Sofia   - b.1884
John Amandus - b. 1885   
Otto Ferdinand - b. 1888   

Ian

Offline Anra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden: BERGHULT to SVARTLOCK
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 June 14 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Karl Johan Johansson Svartlock, was my grandmother Hilma Kristina's father.
He became a marine (båtsman in Swedish) within the Swedish Royal Navy on the 8th of November 1872 - Smålands Båtsmanskompani, Perstorps rote no.9. - and served for about 16 years, until the 22nd of August in 1889, when he left the navy.
He is sometimes called Berghult, after his father Johan August Jönsson Berghult, who also served as a marine for many years. Berghult was the soldier name that Johan August received when joining the navy, in the same way as Karl Johan got the soldier name Svartlock, when he enrolled. Karl Johan's "civilian" surname so to say, was Johansson after his father Johan (i.e., the son of Johan - Johan's son). In the same way, his father Johan August's civilian surname was Jönsson, after his father Jöns Eriksson.
In 1872 (31st of December) Karl Johan also married. His wife, Sofia Jonsdotter (born 18th of July 1850) and he eventually got nine children together: Karl Ludvig, Johan Gottfred, Hulda Christina, Hilma Kristina (my grandmother), Anna Maria Nathalia, Ester Sofia, John Amandus, Otto Ferdinand and Dorotea Josefina.