Author Topic: Truman or Brackenbury  (Read 1569 times)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Truman or Brackenbury
« on: Sunday 28 October 12 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace an ancestor William Brackenbury Truman the illegitimate son of Rebecca Brackenbury.He was born 1n 1811 in the Parish of Revesby and christened 10th Nov 1811,at Miningsby.He married Sarah Eaglestone on 2 July 1835 at Outwell,Norfolk.In the 1841 census he is a smith.Later he was a farmer and then a beer house keeper.Initially the surname Brackenorough was used(presumably this appears on the marriage register) but on the 1841 census the name was Truman.The children born in the 1840s were registered with the name of Brackenborough but after 1850 subsequent children were registered as Brackenbury Truman which was the name the whole family adopted.Perhaps his fathers name was Truman.The name must have come from somewhere.I wonder how William met Sarah Eaglestone from Upwell,Norfolk? Was he brought up by his father? Perhaps he was a  blacksmith?
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Truman or Brackenbury
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 October 12 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, can't find a Truman for you but it seems clear that a Truman was his father and he knew that - hence the name change. 
Maybe there is a bastardy order at the Lincoln archives if anyone is going there and could check for you.
Rebecca married Matthew WINN at Revesby after banns 26/10/1818, the witnesses were John Clifton and Mary Winn. 

NC.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 October 12 18:41 GMT (UK) »

Rebecca married Matthew WINN at Revesby after banns 26/10/1818, the witnesses were John Clifton and Mary Winn. 

I saw that marriage, but censuses for Rebecca WINN suggest that she was born c1799, so probably this one https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NGJG-XZD - a bit young to be having kids in 1811.  :o

There was also this one, Hameringham being only a couple of miles from Miningsby where WTB was baptised. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JWHL-SRJ 

Map http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=531000&Y=366140&A=Y&Z=126
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 October 12 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks NC.I would be grateful if anyone could look at the Lincs. Archive for a bastardy order.I wonder how often bastardy orders were issued? I suppose the father could pay for the childs upbringing on an informal basis.If the mother was seeking Parish relief the authorities would pursue the father to make him pay hence the bastardy order. I know there were changes brought in by the Poor Law of around 1837 but am not sure of the exact details.If the mother failed to provide information of the fathers identity the Parish would have to provide relief. If William Truman/Brackenbury knew his fathers name then probably he had provided for his upbringing.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 November 12 19:12 GMT (UK) »
There is a post on the Norfolk board about bastardy bonds. LizzieW has Lincolnshire ones on fische perhaps you could PM her as she may not have seen your post.
Sorry didn't know how to link the posts!
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 November 12 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mumjo
Will try LizzieW