Author Topic: Melville Street Edinbrough c1839  (Read 5056 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Melville Street Edinbrough c1839
« on: Sunday 28 October 12 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm hoping someone with a more intimate knowledge of Edinburgh can provide me with some information about Melville Street at the time of the death of an ancestor in 1839.
I am undecided as to the number of the establishment, it looks like a 9 but given the swirl at the base of the digit it may be a 2.
I think he was living on his own, only guessing as he was unattached and had returned to Scotland after spending all his adult life living in the West Indies.  His age at the time of death was 64 years.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Melville Street Edinburgh c1839
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 October 12 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm hoping someone with a more intimate knowledge of Edinburgh can provide me with some information about Melville Street at the time of the death of an ancestor in 1839.
I am undecided as to the number of the establishment, it looks like a 9 but given the swirl at the base of the digit it may be a 2.
I think he was living on his own, only guessing as he was unattached and had returned to Scotland after spending all his adult life living in the West Indies. 

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/358456
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1953960
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2044870
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/897260

BUT See also http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1809149

I think you need to take a look at a street directory for 1839 and see who was listed as living at No 2 and No 9.
See http://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Edinburgh
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Melville Street Edinbrough c1839
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 12 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your information, will need to spend more time working through the postal indexes.  So far I haven't found entries for either Melville Street or Gilbert Robertson.   Will keep looking, the bit about Bellfield Street changing it's name to Melville Street is interesting.
Aby
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 October 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abygail

Freecen  www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl has a great tool for their census transcriptions which lets you go previous/next households on searches which is really useful if you want to check what was nearby a property/family that you are interested it.

If you search for 1841/Midlothian and then search for a 45 year old John TAIT, Advocate & Sheriff Of Clackmn, this will take you to the start of the Melville Street. You can then click on further. No.2 looks to have a number of households, most of the others don't as the area of Melville Street was generally wealthy. I did notice a Lodging House Keeper at No.2, a Helen Stewart, with perhaps a couple of guests and a servant as a possibility?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 October 12 14:48 GMT (UK) »
...So far I haven't found entries for either Melville Street or Gilbert Robertson...

Melville Street shows here, from the link already provided by Forfarian - www.archive.org/stream/postofficeannual183839edin#page/212/mode/2up This is the directory of 1838-39. Gilbert Robertson died end of 1839? He may not show on any of these types of listings if he was lodging etc.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 October 12 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, meant to post this earlier:

From www.edinburgh.org.uk/STREETS/part2/b.htm

Bellfield Street formerly Melville Street, renamed with effect from 1.4.68 because of duplication with Melville Street, Edinburgh. Named from the adjacent Bellfield House.

Guess you may have Gilbert Robertson's OPR death or burial entry given you have a date and street name at the time of his death? The Melville Street which later in 1868 was renamed Bellfield Street was in the Portobello area of Edinburgh. The Melville Street that we have talked about mostly was in the St Cuthberts parish area of Edinburgh.

Great collection of old maps of Edinburgh are included here http://maps.nls.uk/towns/index.html#edinburgh-city and also here www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_maps/0_maps_thumbnails.htm

Monica

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica,
according to the OPR Gilbert Robertson died 10 Sept 1839, so it is a good possibility he may have missed the records for postal addresses.  I really have no idea as to exactly how long he was 'in country' prior to his death.   Also given his cause of death was given as 'Decline' (I have an earlier post re my mis reading of this to being 'Weebine').  Being sentimental I'd like to think he had to 'come home' to die.   He is buried in St Cuthberts' Kirk and he was a son of the Rev Harry Robertson DD of Kiltearn (died 12 Jul 1815) and grandson of the Rev Gilbert Robertson DD who died at the Criech Manse, Fifeshire Scot on 17 Mar 1774.   I'm inclined to think he spent the end of his life in Edinburgh with family or friends - well be nice if he did.
Aby
  Abygail

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 07:51 GMT (UK) »
You will have noticed in the OPR he has the suffix "Esq.".   The use of which at that time was to pay an informal compliment by way of implying gentle birth.

Offline Keith0

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 November 12 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I noticed that in the 1841 census a relation of mine was living in No 2 Melville Street.  Her name was Eliza Robinson and she was living there with her two daughters Maria Louisa and Eliza Skinner.  The two girls were born in India where most of my family lived at that time.

Originally this was a family called Robertson but my branch changed its name.  I believe you are looking for a Gilbert Robertson.  I wonder, given the last name is the same as our original name if they might be related.  Do you have any idea?