Author Topic: Another MAHER thread - emigrated to NZ c.1860  (Read 6150 times)

Offline BegClonrode ....

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Another MAHER thread - emigrated to NZ c.1860
« on: Wednesday 31 October 12 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I've just started looking into a MAHER family from Tipperary. I noticed that there were a few MAHER threads on this board and thought I'd just post what I know and see if it rings a bell with anyone. Would be really handy if someone recognised them and had their tree all the way back to year dot.....although I'm not holding my breath :-)

The following info comes from the 1910 NZ death certificate of Mary MAHER née MAHER. I can't guarantee the accuracy of the dates but I should be buying her husband's death certificate in the next week or two so that will help.

-----

Patrick MAHER b.1828 from ? married Mary MAHER b.1827 from Tipperary, Ireland. The marriage was in Tipperary, Ireland and at the time Mary was either 23 or 28  (hard to decipher). So I'll say they married in the early 1850's.

Mary MAHER née MAHER was the daughter of a Patrick MAHER and Mary ?

I've had a look at the IFHF index and there is an 1826 Tipperary birth recorded at Newport RC which might fit, although I'm guessing there may have been more than a few Patrick and Mary MAHER's with a daughter called Mary....

IFHF also mentions an 1858 marriage but it may not be the right one as there was a son (Michael b.1852**) and a daughter (? b.1856).

**EDIT:

Just found these two listings for a Michael MAHER birth. Possibly of interest. Hopefully a duplicate entry.

Tipperary MAHER births 1831-1869
http://www.irelandgenweb.com/~irltip/Records/mahertip-2.htm

22 Nov 1852 - Michael, son of Patrick and Mary (formerly MAHER). Godfather: Michael MAHER - Location: Ballinveeny
23 Nov 1856 - Michael, son of Patrick and Mary (formerly MAHER). Godfather: Michael MAHER - Location: Ballinveeny

...and from the same website...

9 Jul 1851 - Sarah, daughter of Patrick and Mary (formerly MAHER). Godparents: Michael MAHER and Margaret MAHER - Location: Ballinveeny
10 Jul 1855 - Sarah, daughter of Patrick and Mary (formerly MAHER). Godparents: Michael MAHER and Margaret MAHER - Location: Ballinveeny

Sometime around 1860 the family migrated to New Zealand. Would suspect a direct route but they may have travelled via Australia.

This may be a mention of them...

PapersPast - 15 Jan 1867 - NZ Herald
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0rzm/

In 1864 they had a son (Patrick Thomas MAHER) born in NZ, then a daughter ? b.1866, then another son (possibly James b.1871).

Mary died in 1910 and is buried at Te Henui Cemetery, New Plymouth along with her husband Patrick, who died in 1904.

-----

As I said earlier, would be really helpful if this rings a bell with someone but I'm not holding my breath.

Any advice as how to progress also appreciated :-)

Thanks very much
Beg

Offline CLARABEL

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another MAHER thread - emigrated to NZ c.1860
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 02:42 BST (UK) »
Dear BegClonrode,

I see that you are interested in the same family as myself. The Mahers you are searching for emigrated to New Zealand in 1860 on the William Miles.

I also saw your interest in the children of Thomas King - Thomas, Margaret and Anastasia. Their mother gave birth to a further child in 1889.

I have a query for you. Would you know the birth place of Thomas King in Scotland and what year and which ship did he arrive on in New Zealand.

You may have found out everything you wished to learn of the Mahers but if I might be able to enlighten you at all would be pleased to do so.

I am new to this site and only just found your comments.

Regards, Clarabel