Author Topic: Immigration record for Michael Haskett from Ireland  (Read 3185 times)

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration record for Michael Haskett from Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 November 12 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Superb information Gerry, I am extremely impressed. Could you tell me where this information came from? -  Just so I can include it in my references.

It looks like Mick had a fairly lonely existence in Queensland, but he would never have been able to make the same money back in Ireland.

This is definitely James also, if his parents are listed as George Haskett and Anne Ryan, it matches perfectly with the time period. Haskett was not a common name in Ireland at the time, in fact it still isn't very common - I believe we are the only Haskett's in Ireland to this day.

What baffles me is that there was a Patrick Haskett arriving with James. James' brother Patrick emmigrated to San Francisco in 1893, and later married and had children. I have him in the 1900 US Census and also his death record in 1908. So this can't be James' brother Patrick ariving in Australia with him in 1892. It is possible, but unlikely that it could be a cousin, but most if not all of James' uncles and aunts moved to Canada in the mid 1800s, and I haven't managed to find any cousins in Ireland.

Thanks,

David

Thanks,

David

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 November 12 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

This link is bringing up some Haskett's

http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/index.php

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 November 12 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Here is what I have on the brothers so far (I can email a pdf of the document, just send me a pm with your email address if interested in taking a look):

Generation 2 – George Haskett (1827 – 1882)
Big Davey’s son George was born in Ballina, Co. Tipperary c. 1827. At the age of 34, he married Anne Ryan on 12 Feb 1861. It is suspected that George was the only of his family to remain in Ireland after the rest of his family had emigrated.  They made their home in Fort Henry, and had sons Michael, Patrick, James, Martin and David. They had one daughter, Mary Ann, who tragically died when she was just 11 months old. There is also some evidence to suggest that there was a 6th son George, but no birth record exists for him.
-   Michael born  11 May 1864
-   Patrick born 22 Feb 1866
-   James born 06 Jul 1868
-   Mary Ann born 05 May 1870
-   Martin born 1872
-   David born 27 Aug 1876

George died on August 25, 1882 at the age of 55 Portroe, North Tipperary His death certificate states the following: “Died suddenly - 2 hours - no medical att - X ****”
Anne was now left on her own to look after the family, all of whom were under the age of 18. The youngest was David, who was just 6 when his father died.  Times must have been difficult, and it appears that most of her sons followed in their grandfather’s footsteps, and emigrated to North America, and also Australia. The 1901 census shows Anne living in Ballina, with Martin and David, so that means that Michael, Patrick and James had already left home. It is thought that David & Patrick married 2 sisters, Mary Ann and Bridget Moloney from Killaloe.

Patrick Haskett (1866 - 1908)
Patrick was born in Ballina on 22 Feb 1866. He appears with his wife Bridget in the 1900 US Census, living in San Francisco. The census was carried out on the 5th & 6th of June, 1900. Patrick immigrated in 1893 and Bridget immigrated in 1896. They were married in 1897. Bridget was born in August 1869. He was 33, she was 25. They had 2 children - neither had survived. They were also renting their home. They could read, write, and speak English. I can't make out Patrick's occupation - "Watel.....man"? Patrick and Bridget would have been living in San Francisco at the time of the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake.

Patrick died 3rd August 1908. He was 42 years old. On his funeral record, he is listed as being a Merchant. Also he has a son Joseph, as well as 2 deceased sons, George and Michael – these look to be the 2 children mentioned in the 1900 Census.

Michael Haskett (1864 - 1911)
Michael or “Mick” immigrated to Queensland, Australia. He sailed from London aboard the ship “Waroonga” on the 10th March 1885, and arrived at Brisbane, 6th May, just 5 days before his 21st birthday. He was a steerage passenger. The ship manifest records his origin as “Tipp” and his profession as “Farm Labourer”. He became a Telegraph Line Repairer when he moved to  Australia.

Mick had a few postings as a Line Repairer before being appointed "Line Repairer In Charge" at McDonnell Telegraph Station in August 1896. He was appointed as a Line Repairer in the Queensland’s Post & Telegraph Department on January 1st 1888. In 1892 he was a Line Repairer at Mein, Cape York Peninsular. In 1893 & 1894 he was a Line Repairer at Moreton, Cape York Peninsular. In 1895 & 1896 he held the same position at Normanton, North West Queensland.

After his appointment as "Line Repairer In Charge" at McDonnell in August 1896 he remained in this position until his death in 1911.  It appears that Mick was the sole person at McDonnell which was the second last Telegraph Station before the line went by undersea cable to Thursday Island.

The Telegraph Line Went from the top of Cape York to Cooktown via repeater stations including McDonnell. It was a single galvanized steel wire on insulators mounted on steel poles. McDonnell was opened on 28th August 1887.  Mick would have played a very important part in keeping the line open in hostile and demanding territory.

His salary was 180 pounds per year. He appears in the 1900 Queensland State Electoral Roll in the Electoral District of COOK, Somerset Division.

Mick passed away on Tuesday 27 June 1911, aged 47. (Death record states parents names as George Haskett & Anne Ryan) In his death notice in the Cairns Post, the following is written:
"Death of Mick Haskett.
Thursday Island. Tuesday - Mr. Michael Haskett, better known as “Old Mick”, who had been for over 20 years in charge of the McDonnell Telegraph Station in the peninsula, died at the hospital here this morning, after a short illness."

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 November 12 09:58 GMT (UK) »

James “Jas” Haskett (1868 - 1892)
James Haskett was born in Ballina, Co. Tipperary, 6 July 1868. There is a James & Patrick Haskett arriving at Townsville, Queensland, 1 Nov 1892 on the British-India S N. Company’s R.M.S. Jelunga.  James Haskett died on 10 Dec 1892, Townsville, Queensland, just 40 days after arriving in Australia. Parent’s names on his death record are listed as George Haskett & Anne Ryan. He was working as a wood carter at the time at the German Gardens, Townsville. Cause of death was sunstroke. He was just 24 years old.

George & Martin Haskett
George (possible 6th son) went to Brooklyn, New York sometime in the late 1800s. He was followed by Martin in 1902, who departed from Queenstown (Cobh), aboard the Germanic. In the personal column in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle newspaper dated 21 Jan. 1912, there is this: "Information wanted of Martin Haskett and George Haskett by J.H. Hubbell & Co., 360 Broadway, N.Y. City." Hubbell & Co. were a legal firm – is it possible that someone from Ireland wanted to contact the brothers in Brooklyn to inform them of something? What we do know is that Martin returned home to Ireland in the summer of 1913, around the time of his mother Anne’s death. On his return journey to New York, he lists his profession as Saloon Attendant, and his nearest relative as being his mother. 

David Haskett (1876 - 1941)
David Haskett was born in Ballina, Co. Tipperary on August 27th 1876. When he was 6, his father George passed away. He lived in Killaloe and married Mary Anne Moloney, the daughter of a shopowner on Bridge Street in the town. Mary Anne’s parents were Tom Moloney and Margaret Farrell.  David was a driver, and regularly made deliveries to local businesses. He would also transport the local gentry between Killaloe and Dromoland by horse and car. He had two top prized horses; one stabled in Killaloe, at his sister in law Hannah's property in Ballina, the other in Dromoland. In 1913, David’s mother passed away. David and Mary Anne had 2 sons, George & Tom, and a daughter Margaret (Peg).

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 November 12 10:07 GMT (UK) »
David,

The references came from the Queensland Government Gazette,  I'll see if I can give you better reference information.

There were another Hasketts in Queensland in the 1870s.

July 31st 1872, Charles Haskett was issued with a Miners Right for Cape River, Broughton and Charters Towers gold fields.

in January 1868 there were unclaimed letters at the Brisbane GPO for a Susan Haskett of Brisbane.

I can't see anything for Patrick Haskett in Queensland apart from the shipping reference.

Gerry

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 November 12 10:37 GMT (UK) »
1903 Electoral Roll QLD:

HASKETT Michael
Place of Living: McDonnell Telegraph Station
Polling Place: Moreton
Division: Herbert
ID: 92761

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 November 12 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Photo of Thursday Island Hospital 1907 where Michael spent his last days in 1911:

http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=pic&fn=8zaoyqq0&s=3

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 01 November 12 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful find MERLIN! This will go nicely with my story, many thanks!

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 01 November 12 11:47 GMT (UK) »

With Michael being a line repairer would have meant having horses to carry himself and his equipment and it was common for country people to brand their animals for identification  in case they were stolen or wandered off.  Michael probably had a few head of cattle at McDonnel for his own needs as well.

In 1908 Michael Haskett held the horse & cattle brand brand markings 3M9 per certificate 49086 for a farm or run at the McDonnell Telegraph Station with the nearest Post Office being Thursday Island.

Michael's promotion from Line Repairer to Line Repairer In Charge also meant a transfer.

Queensland Government Gazette No 55 Volume LXVI, page 480.

Post and Telegraph Department Brisbane, 25th August 1896.
APPOINTMENTS.
Michael Haskett, Line Repairer, Normanton, to be Line Repairer in Charge, McDonnell.

A. J. THYNNE

Gerry