Author Topic: 1790--ROBINSON....william rose...  (Read 1964 times)

Offline shirl566

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1790--ROBINSON....william rose...
« on: Wednesday 31 October 12 20:07 GMT (UK) »
fact: George Sherman Robinson B: 08, feb. 1885 Wis. USA, D: Mar. 18, 1944 Wis USA
His father was George William Robinson: B: 1822 Scotland???  Maried: Samantha Hillyer  D: 27, Oct. 1871 Wis USA
rumor is that William Rose Robinson was George Williams  fathers name...??

Does anyone have information on this??
Shirl566

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1790--ROBINSON....william rose...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirl566

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Any particular reason for posting this on the Midlothian board? See that George William's 1860 census entry shows him as born in Scotland, however, his 1871 entry shows England? There is also a likely entry for him in 1850, already in Marquette, Wisconsin, with him showing as born in England. His Civil War draft reg. also shows England...

What is the source of info that his father may have been a William Rose Robinson?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shirl566

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for responding MonicaL
I think I worded my request wrong...
I know for a fact that George Sherman Robinson was Born on Feb. 18, 1865, Married Isabelle Long and Died in Plymouth, Rock county, Wisconsin USA...and is buried in Pembine, Marquette county, Wis. USA
What I am not sure of is the Birth date (I think it's Nov. 03, 1822) of his father, George William Robinson...it is rumored Scotland....Yes, I did see all the references to England...should I now assume he was English?
G.W. did die and was buried in Moundville or Montello, Wisconsin.

I would like to know WHERE in Scotland or England G. W. was born and who his ancestors were.
Someone in the family thought his fathers name was William Rose Robinson.  I am not at all sure.  There are quite a few William Robinson's in Ireland, Scotland and England.  I saw a William Rose Robinson in the Midlothian area as a judge...I can't locate his childrens names to see if he had a George William.

I have only been looking into geneology for about 6 weeks so I am totally lost.

I can tell you that either G.W. or his father was a Rhode Scholar at Oxford U.  I did find a reference to a William Robinson at Weavor U. Oxford in 1821 and 1825 polls.  I don't know is this is G.W. father...

I don't know if it is of any help to say George Sherman was a member of the  Mason, a surveyor by occupation...I found George & Samantha graves in Wi. so I know they are here.

Hopefully someone can find the Scotish/ English  root or an Oxford lead.
Thank you for helping me,
Shirl566

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 November 12 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi shirl566,

I did a search on Cecil J Rhodes who bequeathed the Rhodes Scholarships to Oxford, and he dies in 1902, and the Scholarships started after that, but they did not exists in the 1800's.  The person may have attended Oxford however, but not as easy to pin down, as there are complete lists of Rhodes Scholarships winners.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 November 12 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi shirl566,

Do you have the birth certificate of "George Sherman Robinson" or was that taken from the monumental inscription? Was he born in the USA, did the certificate give parent's names? Have you got any documents confirming George William Robinson as father?

I have done a quick search of Scotsman and Times Archives, and I am not picking up birth notices for the time periods, however, it was practice, not to give child's name but to state "Mrs G W Robinson, a son" 

Do you have a marriage record of George William Robertson?

Sorry about all the questions but just trying to get a solid base to search from.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 November 12 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirl

It can be hard making the links back to the UK from the US, or elswhere, at these times.

There are extensive and well researched it seems to me family online trees - I think you have seen these as your username shows there. Sadly, none have managed to break through on who George W's parents were or when and where he was born have they?

I don't think the marriage for George and Samantha has been found has it, but first child shows as born in 1855 (Caroline Elizabeth Robinson, b. 28 Aug 1855 in Moundville, Marquette, Wisconsin). Likely marriage took place between the 1850 census, with the likely entry for George W and then the start of the children being born.

The names George William Robinson are fairly common. He may have been christened as George or William, and spelling of Robinson in those times is likely to be fluid (such as Robson/Robertson etc.). I couldn't easily read the text and age at death from the photo of his gravestone, have you had a transcription of it? He is also fairly consistent on the age I have seen for him on documents thought (1850/1860/1870 and his Civil War draft paper) which indicate a birth around 1820/1. I would also say, from the same info, with the exception of 1850, everything points so far to him being English not Scottish, although parentage could have been from elsewhere in the UK.

Not sure what to advice at this stage of how to link him to any family in England around that time. Have shipping manifests been checked for him travelling to the US? Sometimes family groups came over together. There are some possibilities. The problem though is how to know which is the right one...

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shirl566

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 November 12 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Well so much for the scholarships...
I found the William Rose from Midlothian....his boy was George Arbithnot (sp)...so that fell through.
I am now looking at the head stone and with a lot of looking I think the death says: Oct. 27, 1871 and his age says: 51years 1 month and 1 day.  So I guess that would make his birthday: Sept. 26, 1820....???  Then when I looked at births they were all baptisms so I picked: George Robinson bapt: Oct. 27, 1820....result: Joseph and Sarah Robinson...Uxbridge St. Margaret Parish, Hillingdon Borough.....England? 
Now I'm waiting for someone to match a family....one did but the dates didn't match.

I admire the wonderful job you all are doing. 
I'm just trying to get this together before Nov. 15 when my subscription to Ancestry.com ends.
I truly will be surprised if Joseph is our Robinson...there are NO Josephs in the blood line.
Oh, I did pick a marriage of Joseph and Sarah Birch....no idea if that's the right gal.
This search is quite maddening.
GW is really the only one left to nail down....if you looked at my ancestry sight (can you?)...there is a picture of GW....walrus moustache....his son GS  is the spitting image, only a lot heavier.  I've got pictures of him but haven't figured out how to get them on the computer.  Thanks for your help. Shirl