Author Topic: Ordination in the Congregationalist Church  (Read 620 times)

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ordination in the Congregationalist Church
« on: Wednesday 31 October 12 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a couple of Gt Gt Uncles who were involved in the Congregationalist Church. One I know attended a Congregational College, was ordained, and went on to become a missionary with the LMS.

However, I'm wondering if my other Gt Gt Uncle was also ordained, and whether he would have had the title of Reverend. He is listed in Surman's index as being a Lay Pastor, between 1934 and 1948, at a couple of different churches. Does anyone know what kind of training, if any, he would have had to have to become a Lay Pastor, whether he would have been ordained, and whether he would have been called "Reverend"?

Many thanks!

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Ordination in the Congregationalist Church
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 23:42 GMT (UK) »
A lay pastor would have simply have been called Mr.  He may not have received any formal training. 

In my youth I was involved in a youth preaching group that went round the very small country churches.  While we had been involved in the Sunday school we had no formal training although the leader who would give the sermon went through it with our minister.  Two of the people involved went on to be lay pastors and I don't think they had any formal training.  They would however have attended various weekend conferences.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ordination in the Congregationalist Church
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Many thanks for your reply, and for the info. It matches what I was guessing, but it's lovely to have confirmation. Thank you!