Author Topic: <<<Photos of Victorian life & Framework Knitters>>>  (Read 10031 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: <<<Photos of Victorian life & Framework Knitters>>>
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 August 05 23:40 BST (UK) »
Gerald

Here is a link to the web site

http://www.rfkm.org/index.html

The museum is a quadrangle with the cottages & reception/shop, the frameshop, the griswold room and the video, the outhouses and toilet! It is only a small museum in a village. There may be other museums in the Nottingham area but I haven't investigated yet. I do know there used to be lace machines, like the ones in Grandpas factory, at the industrial museum at Wollaton Hall. There is also the Lace museum but although I live in Nottingham I haven't been there. Shameful!

From your profile you are in Spain. If you have a specific interest in Nottingham and FWK let me know if I can help you.

I am glad you enjoyed  the photos. This is not an advert but I have a book 'As Poor  As A Stockinger' by Christopher Weir from the Nottm Fam Hist Soc. It describes framework knitting and the Luddites in Nottinghamshire. It really sets the scene.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 August 05 07:02 BST (UK) »
Jane wrote
I do know there used to be lace machines, like the ones in Grandpas factory, at the industrial museum at Wollaton Hall.

They still have the lace machines etc, i was there a couple of weeks ago.
You can really imagine how noisy and dusty it would have been.

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 August 05 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

I remember going to the factory which was Oakleas Mill in Long Eaton about 1959. The machines were huge, though I was only 4, and I was fascinated with the punch cards which had the pattern on it. They made lace edging for alot of M & S underwear etc. It was amazing to see such huge machines with just a 'ribbon' of lace coming off them. They were really noisy. I was shown the different designs and then told about the menders who corrected any flaws by hand.

The photo show Grandpa with Sir Stafford Cripps on a visit to the factory.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 August 05 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, They have got a few Jacquard loom's which accept the punch cards at the museum.
They also have a Lever's loom there and a bit more work on my part and i hopefully will be able to say my children are related to the inventor :)

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 August 05 12:01 BST (UK) »
Steve

I've not been to Wollaton Hall Industrial Museum since the kids were small. It must be 10-15 years. Disgusting as I pass it on the way to work every day. I must go there.

If you are related to THE Lever you should be living in Wollaton Hall not visiting it!

Jane

Offline wilkipet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 August 05 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, Many thanks for the info. I am a Notts lad and went to the Univeristy opposite Wollaton Park. Sutton Bonnington to me is the Agricultural Department.
My ancestors in Mansfield, Southwell, and Horsley (DBY) include KWF workers. My daughter lives in Whitwick so we can go there next we go to England. I shall have to join Notts FHS again as I have many more surnames to chase.
The Wilkinson's originate in 1850s from Wrecclesham in Surrey from whence they came to Whitwell and Mansfield.
Again thanks alot
Gerald
Wilkinson-farnham, fell-notts, Bolton-notts,Holmes-Derby's, yeomans-Derby's, shaw-Derby's. Davies-Glam, Tilling-Glos, Gibby, Harries-Pembrokeshire,Godley-Whitwell etc. coalminiing migration