Author Topic: Leonard Bagworth born 1899 Westwood  (Read 1573 times)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Leonard Bagworth born 1899 Westwood
« on: Sunday 04 November 12 19:47 GMT (UK) »
http://www.jacksdale.org.uk/war-memorial/first-world-war-served/bagworth-leonard

Jacksdale Heritage are appealing for information about Leonard Bagworth b. 1899 Westwood who is listed on our village war memorial as having served and survived WW1. The information is needed for a book we are writing in 2014.

Please see the link to our website above.

We would love to hear from anyone who has any information about Leonard.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leonard Bagworth born 1899 Westwood
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 November 12 21:10 GMT (UK) »
No relation, just some basic info. I did look for possible trees on ancestry but only one and only has his birth, no siblings etc.

He was living in Old Westwood with parents and siblings in 1901.
Parents
William Bagworth    born 1869
Mary Lowe Bagworth born 1872   
Siblings up to 1901
Mary Ann  born 1893, Emily born 1895 Enoch 1897

Leonard Bagworth Private
Regiment or Corps - Machine Gun Corps
Regimental number - 171367

Marriage to
Maud Cope
Dec 1/4  1921
Registration district Basford Nottinghamshire
Vol 7b Page 524

death
Leonard Bagworth age 51
Birth abt 1899
Registered Sep 1/4 1950
Registration district -Chesterfield Derbyshire
Vol 3a page 156

His brother Enoch also died in Derbyshire

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 November 12 21:52 GMT (UK) »

There is a Leonard Bagworth who was in the Machine Gun Corps Private `171367 and awarded the Victory Medal and the British Medal. Not the Star, but if it's your Leonard he was to young to sign up in 1914.

The site below may be able to help you further.

http://www.machine-gun-corps-database.co.uk/intro_page.html

Skewy

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 November 12 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Both

Thank you so much for your input. Crisane - yes this is the tree we are following, your findings look similar to mine, very reassuring, just hoping that a family member with some memories and maybe some photos might come forward, stranger things have happened! Also thank you Skewbald, I will be definitely be contacting the MGC website, we have a number of men on our memorial who served with them. Very interesting link. And yes, I was surprised he may have served in the MGC as he seems too young, but there only seems to be one Leonard Bagworth born in that time period, unless anyone can prove me wrong?

We have been working on this research project in Jacksdale, in one form or other for 10 years now, it is so important that we continue to make contact and spread the word. Over the coming weeks I hope to list many similar appeals on RC, I hope no-one minds? I find that ancestry users don't always keep up their membership and don't always respond as much as RC's do?
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 November 12 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I followed Leonard and his wife to see what I could find.
We are now in the territory of not mentioning names of living people so if you want the info please pm me :)

I could only find the birth of one son to Leonard and Maud.
They in turn appear to have had one son.
This grandson of Leonard was born 1957 and married 1977. I have found two possible children born to this couple, in the Mansfield registration district. A daughter in 1977 and a son in 1980.

As for Leonard being too young I suppose it depends on what year he signed up and how many years he possibly added to his age?

I searched for births of a Leonard B*gworth without entering any dates and the only other one was Leonard William Bagworth born 1911 and died 1993. So leonard born 1899 one has to be your man.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 November 12 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Lucky that Leonard had a rare surname. Like crisane did I traced the family forward through the BMDs, and have found Leonard's great grandson on Facebook. I'm quite sure it is the right guy - he's in Notts and the only person of that name born in the UK. I'll send you a PM with his details. If you're not a Facebook member I could send him a message for you. He might be able to put you in touch with his grandfather (Leonard's son) - from the recent electoral rolls it look like he is still alive. If the Facebook route doesn't produce any results, you could send a letter to Leonard's son's address given on the electoral rolls.

Alexander

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 November 12 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Dear Both - Thank you for the pm and all this brilliant detective work - I never thought of tracing the name downwards and yes your findings look quite correct. I have sent a message via facebook and will let you know if I get a reply. I have also sent an appeal out to an ancestry member tree.  Fingers crossed!
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 November 12 14:07 GMT (UK) »

Hi all concerned, there is a Time Team Special re the Machine Gun Corps and the role of Belton House. This is Sunday afternoon at 4.40 on Channel 4. 

Skewy

Offline Chantellewalton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 June 23 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, i came across this chat on google.
Can i please ask what book it is you have written?

My 2 x great granddad is Enoch Bagworth brother to leonard Bagworth and i would love to know more about them.

thank you