Author Topic: Another McGreal in Westport post  (Read 20042 times)

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another McGreal in Westport post
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 November 12 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

It's not uncommon attaching unrelated members to trees. I think the improved availability of records in the last five or so years has shown a quick fix is no fix at all.

Before your posting I had contacted a number of contributors on FindaGrave regarding the Missouri McGrails to tidy up the family links.One contributor Dyanne  has today added a large number of copy death certificates amongst them is the reference for john and mary cain. It may take a couple of weeks to work through them all and will give a clear picture of the family group.

Charles and Anna O'Malley son James had a son Charles 1916-1990 his wife is noted on the FindaGrave and her obituary is online.

That's all for now.

Pat.

Offline caph1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 November 12 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Thanks again!

I visited that cemetery a couple of weeks ago. Charles's grave (the grandson) and two of his children were the only ones I was able to find! I had a map from the Genealogy Society with the other graves marked but my husband and I had no luck finding them! Either we were completely misreading the map or the stones are no longer there.  It's a very large and somewhat confusing cemetery.

Cathy

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 November 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

This may be overkill on the subject. Another McGrail/O'Malley birth is that of Jeremiah (Jerry) McGrail c 1831  d Jan 18 1924 in Missouri born in Ireland to a Patrick McGreal and Bridget O'Malley.

The only census entry I could trace was in 1920 at the Little Sisters of the Poor for the aged,St Louis,Missouri. He appears to have come to the US in 1884 and was a farmer and single.It may be a simple coincidence that he ends up in Missouri and be connected to an O'Malley but given your inclination that John and Michael were but two brothers to others in Ireland , this is just a thought.

The only Jeremiah McGreal mentioned in the Griffiths valuation 1855 was situated in Ballynacorra, Galway which is on the border with Roscommon.

Any other McGrail/O'malley connections I find I will save up for Christmas.

Pat

Offline caph1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 November 12 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Again, I very much appreciate your interest in this! And there's no such thing as overkill!  :)

Cathy

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 November 12 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

If you're up for some more punishment.

Laurence Snr, Mary and Nellie in 1910 are now in St Louis,Missouri. Mother Honora decd and buried in Missouri.

John,Norah,James and Charles in 1910 children of Laurence Snr are located in Illinois,Ford,Drummer.

A Jerry McGrail b c 1850 is resident with the children in Illinois and described as Cousin, single, born in Ireland,general farm labourer and having entered the US in 1880.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find any other details of a Jerry/Jeremiah McGrail born prior to 1900 in the US records. I think they are one in the same individual given the name and Illinois/Missouri connections.

There I haven't mentioned O'*****y

Pat.

Offline caph1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 November 12 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Thanks, again, Pat!

I believe they moved to St. Louis in 1900 because they appear in Illinois in the census and Norah died later that year in Missouri. I have that 1910 census, but for some reason either overlooked Jerry or wasn't able to find anything more.  Thanks for pointing him out! That's a name that doesn't turn up anywhere else in the family. I suspect maybe it's a name from his mother's family. Interesting that Lawrence's family had two different cousins living with them (at different times). I haven't run across that in any of the other families.  Though, in the 1880 census, John did have a "farm hand" who I believe to have been his wife's nephew.

I found a Jeremiah on Find A Grave in Calvary Cemetery (where the others are) who died in January 1924. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a death certificate. Nor did I find an Illinois Deaths and Stillbirths Index record for him. Darn! I'll keep looking though. I work with a woman on one of my other lines who knows a lot about Missouri resources. She may have some suggestions.

Cathy

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 November 12 19:17 GMT (UK) »

Hi Cathy,

Dyanne has put the death certificate on the Find a Grave memorial for Jeremiah along with a number of others.

Pat.

Offline caph1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 November 12 20:17 GMT (UK) »
So she did! I didn't click all the way through the first time. Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention! Hmmm, I wonder why I couldn't get that to come up on the Missouri site?

Very interesting, indeed! I wish the informant had been one of Lawrence's children just to confirm a connection.

I think you told me this before but I can't find the message. How is Dyanne connected?

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 November 12 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

I don't think their is any personal connection to this family beyond a contributor to the site.She was one of eight who had posted information on the Michael and Margaret Duffy McGrail line who I contacted and has gone further than expected with the certs.There are another ten memorials yet to be linked to Michael and Margaret.

I have yet to look at the other Missouri McGrails but it looks like there may only be two other distinct families including Laurence from Illinois.Something may turn up which links them all but only time will tell.

Pat