Author Topic: parish(birth) lookup request (Manuden/Birchanger?)  (Read 801 times)

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
parish(birth) lookup request (Manuden/Birchanger?)
« on: Monday 30 May 05 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Would someone mind doing a lookup for me please.

I'm looking for the birth of John Josolyne (often different variation but similar) b. abt 1762/63 either in Manuden or Birchanger.  There is a bit of confusion over his birth place as according to his marriage details the Banns had him down as being from Birchanger and the actual marriage as being from Manuden.

Many thanks for your help.

Ann :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: parish(birth) lookup request (Manuden/Birchanger?)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 16:00 BST (UK) »
Essex Record Office Manuden ref: D/P 272/1/2 fiche 1 of 3
Baptisms
Thomas JOYCELIN August 16 1753
James JOCELYN March 30 1755
William JOCELYN February 13 1757
Sarah JOYCELYN March 11 1759
Daniel JOYCELYN Mar 8 1761
Richard JOYCELYN Nov 6 1763

in each and every case the parents were Pollard and Alice JOCELYN/JOYCELYN.
I finished the search at 1770 and I have copied the spelling variations.

Knowing you wanted to find a John J.... and failing to spot him in Manuden baptisms I looked at the Manuden burials (ref: D/P 272/1/2 fiche 3 of 3) in case he was an infant death but the only J... burials I found were
Pollard JOSCELYNE buried April 8 1768
Alice JOSCELYNE buried April 11 1776

I also looked in Birchanger baptisms (Essex Record Office ref: D/P 25/1/2 1 fiche) but I couldn't see any J...s there. The images were very faint.
I think I have seen a family website for the Josolyn etc name. If you google it you may find an additional  source of help

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
Re: parish(birth) lookup request (Manuden/Birchanger?)
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Clincher,

Thanks for all your hard work.  We tried to find a connection with the Pollard and Alice Jo....s but it seems they aren't related to our side of the family. 

All we know (according to John's & Thomas' Will) is that there were are least 5 kids Thomas, John, William Sophia and Sarah.  John died in Wareside, Herts and Thomas died in Harlow, Essex.  (But Thomas was married in Arkesden, Essex).  There might be a connection with a Thomas Josselyn/Josolyne? who married  Sarah Hockley in Arkesden St Mary the Virgin 29 July 1779 - both were said as being widower/widow and both over 40.  I think he might of been their father.

I think they just don't want to be found :'(

Anyway many, many thanks for all your help.

Ann :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London