Author Topic: Wallasey Corporation Personnel Records  (Read 908 times)

Offline bigbazza

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wallasey Corporation Personnel Records
« on: Monday 05 November 12 18:06 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather, William Henry Davis worked for Wallasey Corporation between circa 1908 and 1944, firstly as a tram conductor and later for the refuge dept.  I have a photo of him standing on the step of tram 51 and another stood next to his horse and refuge cart in what looks like a parade of the whole fleet of horses and carts.

I would like to know if it is possible that records still exist of my grandfathers work record with Wallasey Corporation, such as the date he commenced work, and how long he worked on the trams and the refuge dept. Does anyone know where I should write to gain such information?

Many thanks, Baz.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wallasey Corporation Personnel Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Baz

Wirral Archives may hold some former Wallasey Council records. If they don't then they may be able to advise as to where to look. Employment records, if they still exist, may have restricted access.

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/leisure-and-culture/wirral-archives-service

As well as the Wirral Archives there are three reference libraries, Bebington, Birkenhead and Wallasey. Wallasey Library is also a possibility

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/leisure-and-culture/libraries/find-library/wallasey-central-library

Andy

Offline bigbazza

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wallasey Corporation Personnel Records
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,

I know it's a long shot looking up employment records from so long ago and I hadn't even thought of the possibility of restricted access.

I will certainly follow up the leads that you have given me.

Regards, Baz.