Author Topic: cherry hinton and downham church info  (Read 2117 times)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
cherry hinton and downham church info
« on: Tuesday 06 November 12 12:25 GMT (UK) »
hi all,
i am hoping to get down to cambridge in a week or so, and am  trying to find out a little info on st. andrews, cherry hinton and st. leonards, downham. had a look at google maps, and they both look quite accessable, is that right?  also do you know if the cemeteries are large? and what condition the gravestones are in?
i have( hopefully) quite a few rellies buried there and am hoping for some photos.
any info at all would be helpful
thanks
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: cherry hinton and downham church info
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I wish you success, but from my own experience looking for headstones is an unrewarding exercise. Although I know for sure that ancestors were buried in a particular churchyard, it is rare that a headstone was either a) erected in the first place, as they were a luxury only a few could afford and b) if it was, that is has survived and survived legibly.

So I hope you do better!

Some info about St Andrews Ch H n here

http://www.friends-of-standrew.org.uk/about.php
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: cherry hinton and downham church info
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 14:33 GMT (UK) »
hi and thanks,
 i know the feeling, i spent a whole day at a large graveyard once and like you, knew they were there, but never found them, though, i have had successes at other graveyards, and it is a nice experience when you actually come across them.fortunately, i have to go to cambridge on another matter for a few days so i don't mind spending an afternoon or so looking these up, ( providing the weather holds up)  ;D
thanks for the link, will check it out
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)