Author Topic: On This Day in NOVEMBER .....  (Read 45049 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in NOVEMBER .....
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 23:43 GMT (UK) »
"I am concerned that, as things are now managed, Oxford is the most efficient University in the world."
Ed Coplestone, Provost of Oriel College, to Richard Heber, 28th November 1804

"There are few of the worst of all sights on this road, vast green fields, dotted with trees, surrounded by a wall and damped by a variety of swampy grounds which call themselves country seats."
Henry Fox, writing about The Brighton Road, 28th November 1829

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Thursday 28 November 13 13:32 GMT (UK) »
On November 28th 1772 Alexander Auld was born in Linlithgow. He was named after his paternal grandfather and was the elder brother of my 4xG grandmother, Janet.

On 28th November 1921 Janet Brown Wardlaw was married. She was the daughter of my great grandparents George Wardlaw and Agnes Tweedie and took the Janet Brown part of her name from her grandmother, my great great grandmother. Janet was my gran's sister  and she and her husband had a farm just outside the village I was born in. As a child I visited this farm often to see aunt Jen, as she was known. Her husband Sammy Conn was a relative of the family that produced Alfie Conn, the professional footballer who played for Hearts in the 1950's and gained just the one Scotland international cap.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Thursday 28 November 13 16:35 GMT (UK) »
On this day on November 28th 1913 100 years ago today  my Auntie Ella was born along with her twin sister ???? Heather sadly I cannot find anything about Heather
Was she still born or could she have been a miscarriage before this date (only going from what I heard as a child) Isabella McKenzie was born at 11,Station Cottages Newsham Northumberland .
She married George Higgins in 1945 and had an adopted son still living .
She was a wonderful lady she did her bit during WW11 as an A.R.T and has certificates for her good work
After adopting my cousin she was to get another baby but her eye sight began to bother her .At the age of 37 she was now going blind and as the years went by ,when I spent my summer holidays with her I became her eyes .When we went out to shops and also films and live shows .
Sadly as the years went by she contacted more problems and died 18.2.1983 on my sons 18th birthday. I missed saying goodbye to her as I was preparing his party when a relative phoned to say she had passed away
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Thursday 28 November 13 17:33 GMT (UK) »
On 28 November 1949 my first cousin 2 x removed Alice Rosina Rogers, nee Giovannelli, died in Islington, aged 91.  She had married John Henry Rogers, who was a cousin and several years younger than her, in 1901.  According to her marriage certificate she was 34, but she was in fact 43, while John Henry was 29.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Friday 29 November 13 00:12 GMT (UK) »
"...lyk as the French King before wrote and bosted unto his mother that he had of his owne mynd passed in to Italy, so tis lykly that she shall have shortly cause to wryte agayn to him that it had to be mych bettere and more wisedome for hym to abide at home."

Sir Thomas More to Wolsey, 29th November 1524. (She certainly did.  He was captured on the way back)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Saturday 30 November 13 00:32 GMT (UK) »
"War is little more than a catalogue of mistakes and misfortunes."

Winston Churchill, 30th November 1950

"Excess of refinement appears to abolish the great vices, but only undermines the great virtues."

Henry Fox, 30th November 1829

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Saturday 30 November 13 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Not an ancestral anniversary but son#2 is 42 today........born at lunchtime and has been interested in food ever since.  ;D
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Saturday 30 November 13 16:48 GMT (UK) »
On 30 November

In 1707 my 5 x great grandmother Judith Bettle was baptised at Cardington, Bedfordshire, the daughter of William Bettle and Susannah Goss.  She married Thomas Conquest in 1726 and is the first person of my Conquest ancestors who I can definitely place in Cardington.  I don't know where Thomas originated, although there are some possibilities outside Bedfordshire.

In 1736 my 6 x great grandparents Edward Crowsley and Ann Fanch were married at St Mary's Church, Bedford.  Ann was Edward's first wife and became the mother of my 5 x great grandfather Samuel.  After her death in 1750, Edward married again to Mary Britain, and through their son William also became my 4 x great grandfather.  How difficult that was to sort out!
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell