Author Topic: Wedding Banns recorded but no marriage record???  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Sezzyc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wedding Banns recorded but no marriage record???
« on: Sunday 11 November 12 19:14 GMT (UK) »
 Hi All,

I have found the record of the Banns being read in 1791 in Dickleburgh for the marriage of Thomas Ruddock & Mary Allen however I can't find the record of the marriage in either the Dickleburgh parish records or the Archdeacons Transcripts.

What does this mean? ???

Did the marriage not take place? The bride was from Syleham in Suffolk, if they had got married there would the banns still be read in the grooms parish?

Thank you,

Sarah

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Banns recorded but no marriage record???
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 12 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sezzyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Thank you for your fast reply  :). Thanks for the link. I am aware of the entry but trying to find the source data. Do you know where they transcribed it from?

The date of the marriage on the IGI index is the date of the third reading of the banns. Could they read the banns for the third time and then get married straight after or would they have to wait another week?

Any thoughts on why the wedding itself is not on freereg or the original parish and AT records???

Thanks again for your help,

Sarah

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 November 12 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Any thoughts on why the wedding itself is not on freereg or the original parish and AT records???

Are all transcriptions complete?

This is from Wikipedia

In England, under the provisions of Lord Hardwicke's Act of 1753, a marriage was only legally valid if the banns had been called or a marriage licence had been obtained, codifying earlier practice within the Church of England. By this statute, 26 Geo. II, c.33, the banns were required to be read aloud on three Sundays before the wedding ceremony, in the home parish churches of both parties. Omission of this formality rendered the marriage void, unless the bishop's licence (a common licence) or the special licence of the Archbishop of Canterbury had been obtained.

I would guess it took place in the Parish Church of Dickleburgh.  Looking at the images on Family Search either not many weddings took place there or some of the records are missing.  There are large gaps in the images
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 November 12 11:39 GMT (UK) »

Did the marriage not take place? The bride was from Syleham in Suffolk, if they had got married there would the banns still be read in the grooms parish?

I've got a few examples of banns but no marriage found, and one or two where banns were read more than once, as much as a couple of years apart. In the latter case obviously the marriage didn't take place the first time, for whatever reason.

In the banns that I've seen, if the bride or groom were actually resident in another parish at the time the banns were read that would be recorded. It's residence not origin that counts though.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline ron_s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 November 12 14:08 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch records my GGG-grandmother as having remarried in the parish church of Roydon (Diss), Norfolk on 26 September 1830 but the link given on their record is to the Banns. There is no sign of an actual marriage in the parish marriage register.

Another marriage between the same two people is shown on FS in Norwich on 4 January 1831 but no parish is given and I can't trace the marriage record from which they transcribed the information.

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 November 12 15:13 GMT (UK) »
There are a lot of occasions on Familysearch where what is indexed as a marriage is in fact the date of the last reading of the banns.

I've only discovered this recently now that we have so many images of actual parish resisters online.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline Sezzyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 November 12 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everybody.

Based on your information I have uncovered that the banns were read in the grooms parish but they got married in Suffolk at the Brides Parish. It looks like the familysearch index was the last date of banns being read not the wedding date or place so a little misleading.

Thanks for your help,

Sarah  :)