Author Topic: Baptism in North Dalton  (Read 1685 times)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Baptism in North Dalton
« on: Sunday 11 November 12 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone do a look up for me please?

Looking for Ann Thornton - according to 1851 census she was born in North Dalton c. 1786

Thank you
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism in North Dalton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 November 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
KathyM

I'll see if I can find this for you - with luck, tomorrow.  Anything else about her you need to know? Parents' marriage, siblings?

Yours
Joyce

Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear KathyM

I was about to write that my search of the North Dalton PRs had been in vain - when I thought to check the 1851 census.  Do you mean the Ann Thornton, living with husband William in Hutton Cranswick?  If so, no wonder I couldn't find any Thorntons.

Using only the IGI, I assume that this Ann could be Ann "Hyon", who married WT in 1836 in Bainton? I see their daughter aged 13 was born in Bainton and there's a birth for her in 1836. This Ann would have been born around 1818. I've run a quick check online of N Dalton baptisms and found an Ann Jon, daughter of Mary Jon. (Which is interesting, because my 3x great grandfather's brother married a Mary Jon, apparently from a long line of illegitimate Jon children in Market Weighton!)

Or are we talking about someone completely different, whom I haven't identified in the 1851 census?

All the best
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I think we're talking about a different person.....Ann Thornton was according to 1851 census born in North Dalton - but her married name was Holmes.

Her husband Francis Holmes was with her in 1841 (no birth places of course) but had died before 1851.  They lived at Holme upon Spalding Moor.

I am descended from them.....through their daughter Martha Holmes but having trouble getting back further.

There is a marriage for a Francis Holmes to an Ann  Thornton at York (29 Jan 1810) so, from this I am trying to match my Ann up to this Ann Thornton.....but there isn't a matching baptism at North Dalton!

There is a baptism at Seaton Ross....15 Jan 1786....which isn't far from Holme on S.M.  for Ann Thornton daughter of William & Sarah.  (My Ann did name her youngest son William.....but it was a common name!!)....did you notice if there were ANY Ann's at North Dalton?

Thank you so much for your help!
~~~~~~~~

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed that you mentioned a baptism for an Ann Jon.......do you have a date???

I wonder if there could be a marriage somewhere between Francis Holmes & Ann Jon?

Strangely, I think Francis Holmes was from Market Weighton!
~~~~~~~~

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 09:53 GMT (UK) »
KathyM

Ann Jon's baptism was on 24 May 1818 at North Dalton (I used the shortcut to IGI numbers recommended somewhere else on this board).  I do see now that an Ann Jon had an illegitimate child, Jane Dixon Jon, baptised at N Dalton in 1836. So if they're the same person, Ann Jon can't be Ann Thornton. It was a nice idea...

Yes, there were Anns among those baptised at N Dalton - I checked from 1780 to 1799, as a precaution. 

Joyce

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear KathyM

It's a problem family, but we've all got them.  I spend a lot of my time trying to prove one of my 6x great grandfathers started life in one parish and ended in another.

I've just looked at the marriage record for Francis Holmes and Ann Thornton - the actual entry is shown on ancestry.  I may be wrong, but I think his occupation is given as comb maker, whereas your Francis was an ag lab and it seems like an odd career move, if it were the same chap!  I think you're looking for another Ann.

Yours
Joyce

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a look myself! and you're right - I don't think he is the same one.

I had a few doubts because I think I found baptisms for the York Francis & Ann which were the same names of the children...but wrong dates!

I seem to have found a reference to Francis being from Market Weighton - but don't seem to be able to find it now!  I went to Borthwick ages ago and found the children's baptisms in Holme upon Spalding Moor's parish records - so I am wondering if it was on one of those.

The children were : John (1813) Martha (1816) Thomas 1818 and William 1820 and for some strange reason I have a note of Martha getting baptised again when she was an adult in 1841 (after she was married)...she was married 31st May and baptised ?? in June!

I need to get to the record office again and re-check these!!  This was done years ago when I was just starting out!!

I am also wondering about a marriage (Shipton by Thorpe) in 1797 between a Francis Holmes & Margaret Taylor.  They had a son Robert baptised at M.Weighton in 1801....then nothing.  I wonder if THIS could be my Francis ??

~~~~~~~~

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I did a bit of rooting around myself. There seem to have been Holmeses in Mkt Weighton, but I think I also found one in Holme-on-Spalding-Moor who could have been your Francis's grandfather - Francis Holmes married Jane Ware in 1743. 

There are records for Francis Holmes in Market Weighton, but he/they may not be related. I see the name goes back into the 17th century in that area. You could be dealing with several branches of the same family.  I managed to find the birthplace of one ancestor who died before the 1851 census by discovering his brother lived in a nearby village, same profession, and found their baptisms in a parish at the far end of the Riding. I swear by family reconstruction.

The Francis-Ann marriage has to be the key. If John was the first child, I could check marriage allegations for the preceding years. But if Francis was born around 1771, he could well have been married before. I could do a bit more foraging, but I mustn't neglect my own work.

I see Martha had a son, baptised in 1836. Would that be the child with Francis and Ann in 1841?

Joyce