Author Topic: Ah-Kin Gin  (Read 10305 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ah-Kin Gin
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 02:41 BST (UK) »
Well found Jorose,

There's 45 pages digitised for a Charles James KING at the National Archives of Australia's website .....  Dob and place and nok match your finds for Chas Jas KING  ;D    I feel sure that Hyjean will have info to hand to help advance the search.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx    (barcode 1970828 )

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 10:00 BST (UK) »
 :) found George Ah Kin in 1903  ;D

NSW ER 1903 EDEN MONARO, polling at Bemboka

AK KIN, George  coach proprietor, of Bemboka.  NO others with that surname at that polling place.
(yes, that is AK KIN, not AH KIN and there's a space between the two "K"s).  NO others with similar surname at that polling place either.

Of course there's plenty of printer errors, so that could be a printer error.   What it is telling me is that George AK KIN, the coach proprietor, was a British Subject and was aged 21 years or over.   Whether he was a British subject by birth or by naturalisation is NOT something I would ever expect to find on an NSW electoral roll.   But if he died in NSW,  I would expect to learn from his death cert (or official transcript) where he was born, and how long he had lived in the colonies/states of Australia.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ronwoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 13:09 BST (UK) »
Re the age of Ah-Kin Gin in Hyjean's initial post:

"Actual age would be more like 41 at time of death  rather than the stated 50. From age stated on marriage cert as 24 the birth date year is about 1851.He was a Chinese Immigrant."

A Chinese friend recently explained to me that Chinese measure age differently.  The example he gave was for a Chinese child born in December: the time in the womb is counted, so at birth the child is 1 year old, come 1st January, the same child may turn 2, then at Chinese New Year (usually around mid-February), the child becomes 3 years old. 

While this doesn't account for the 9 year difference in Hyjean's post, it does highlight the need for caution when considering the age of a Chinese person.

Regards, Ron
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
CLARK, Australia
MEDEL, Philippines
RESPALL, Philippines & Spain
WOODS, Australia

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 May 13 12:58 BST (UK) »

I believe the marriage took place in 1915 - from what I can wrangle out of the Victoria BMD indexes without paying (Chas Jas King to Lilian May Bell)

There was a marriage registered for this couple in 1915. The reg# is 9782
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 02:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks one and all for your great help quite a bit has been unravelled.Gratefully received.

It seems in the case of the 2nd generation the Ah Kin became King or Kin.Special thanks for detective work on Charles James Kin/King and birthdate and place of birth.

Thanks to jorose for pointer towards Family Search site which up until then i had no idea that images for Australia were included and in particular Tas.Have started laboriously scouring the resources for BMD's with Cassidys and Kins in mind.
That will take some time.

majm thanks for help. I don't have any info to add. I have only some certificates and family heresay (very unreliable) to go on so an extremely limited starting point.In fact so secretive were the Chinese connections that my mothers grandmother went to the grave without revelation. My late mother had no idea that she had a Chinese great uncle and Eurasian cousins.She may have been more circumspect in her outlook if she had known.

Connecting rootschat links had not occurred to me as my i/t skills enable me to get around at a fairly basic level. There are not many tricks in my repetoire.

I checked out the NSW reference and drew a blank so more inclined to follow Ah Kin from the Tasmanian base as an adult.

Very interesting regarding Chinese births. Also I'm told that surnames are exceedingly common and repetitive.

Very pleased to receive all contributions and admire the forensic skills of all.

Sincerely,

Hyjean

Offline Helen6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 March 16 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you All for your detective work about James Tasmania Kin (in Tasmania) who appears to have turned into Charles James King (in Victoria).

Even though it would seem correct, just wondering if anyone has unearthed any conclusive evidence that it is the same person? I'm not sure what that could be - orphan records?, travel documents?

Also, I have quite a bit of information about CJ King and descendants, and his wife Lillian May Bell and her ancestors. Please ask if you have gaps in your records, I may be able to help.

Offline Giblin46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen6,
Have been following this thread for awhile ,you mentioned that you had more information on
Charles James King.
I am trying to follow up on Bridget Cassidy "Australasia" and descendants.
If however her daughter Elizabeth born at The Ross Female Factory was the Elizabeth who married Ah Kin and mother of Charles.
Cheers

Offline Hyjean

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 10:49 BST (UK) »
 :)Hello,
Just wanted to tell you I have researched Bridget Cassidy Australasia some years back. She turned out to be not my Gt Gt Gt gtprandmother. There is quite a bit about this particular Bridget in a book about Convict Women called " A Drift of Derwent Ducks" by Trudy Cowley.
I eventually found my Bridget Cassidy through the Launceston Examiner & info wedding certificates. I contacted Launceston Library & an astute librarian realised the RC priest had been writing Cassarly on their certificates. One expects the recipients were illiterate & he was Irish also. A broad accent obviously interpreted Cassidy as Cassarly. I hope this is helpful.
Cheers Hyjean

Offline Helen6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 22 August 19 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Giblin46,

I'm not sure that we have the same person.Working backwards from James Tasmania Kin (Charles James King?) -

His mother was Elizabeth Cusack; parents Michael Cusack and Bridget Reddin; born 11 Dec 1854.
There was no birth cert. only the Baptism record from the Church of the Apostles, Launceston. The place of birth given as Gravelly Beach on her Death Certificate.