Author Topic: wooloomooloo  (Read 1146 times)

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
wooloomooloo
« on: Tuesday 13 November 12 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi there does anyone know where I can get information from what wooloomooloo Sydney was like to live  in the 1880s to 1893.

Thankyou
mctiernan ireland
leonard skibbereen ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire
sheehy/shea sheehea wales

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: wooloomooloo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

A starting point perhaps : http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/woolloomooloo

Do you know the occupation of the person you are interested in?   Perhaps the person resided at Woolloomooloo but worked in the City or elsewhere? 

Have you tried the City of Sydney online resources including : 
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/ArchivesWeb/scripts/home.asp
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/AboutSydney/HistoryAndArchives/Archives/ServicesForResearchers/AssessmentBooks00.asp

Have you tried the NSW State Library or the NSW State Records Office?

Here's the link to RChat's NSW Resources Board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369703.0.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Don't know which half of the planet you're in ... but this might be worth a quick look; - Tony Robinson does a walk around the area in the Sydney episode :)

http://www.historychannel.com.au/tv-shows/show-details.aspx?id=1061
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone to the links to the websites.
mctiernan ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 November 12 11:30 GMT (UK) »
It was probably not much different to how it was in the early 1900s, when it was a poor docklands area, and a had a long record of criminal activities - Tilly Devine et al.

Even when I was a child in Sydney in the 1940s and up till say 1950s it was not a place one would want to live, similarly Surry Hills behind Central Station area.  William Street was also known to be where prostitutes plied their trade.

In c1957, some friends and I were going to a function up in Kings Cross and arranged to meet another friend on a corner of William Street near Hyde Park.  When we got to her she was rather 'shook up' - the police had stopped and asked why she was there, and warned her not to tarry on that corner for long as the 'girl' who 'owned' it might scratch her eyes out!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 12 12:11 GMT (UK) »
My mother and grandmother went to the wedding of Mum's best friend ... and Grandma was shocked to discover that said best friend's aunty was ...  :o ... Kate Leigh, Tilly Devine's arch-enemy!
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 November 12 15:13 GMT (UK) »
My goodness dosen't seem a nice area to live in.  My gg grandmother was living there and met her husband there before deciding to come back to Limerick where there parents were from origionally Limerick and just was wondering what life would of been like for them back then.
mctiernan ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 November 12 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Probably fairly rough!
 ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)