Author Topic: Alexander Williams 1869 Can you help?  (Read 9177 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Williams 1869 Can you help?
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 18:01 BST (UK) »
In the absence of any records in Banff I would suggest you try Aberdeenshire. I have several family lines that wandered back and forth over the county boundary.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 18:04 BST (UK) »
According to 1939 Register his dob is 06/06/1868.
According to his death certificate he died Jan 1945 aged 76, birth approx 1869.
:)

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 18:06 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any advice on how I proceed to find out whether he was born illegitimately or would this not be possible without knowing at least 1 of his parents names?
Is there anyway I could potentially using any other source find out what his mum's name was?
Just trying to think outside the box.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 18:37 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any advice on how I proceed to find out whether he was born illegitimately or would this not be possible without knowing at least 1 of his parents names?
It would be very difficult.
Is there anyway I could potentially using any other source find out what his mum's name was?
If I were you I would go to the IGI https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/igi and search for any Alexanders born in Banffshire in 1868. Then go through them looking for one born on 6 June. If that doesn't work try 1869/1870 etc.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 21:03 BST (UK) »
Its a big task - Scotlands People has 653 males named Alexander born in  Banff from 1867 to 1870. (168 in 1868 alone)

Unfortunately the search returns don't allow you to cut the list down to month level.

Normally the effort would focus on the surnames of the parents, especially the mothers if there was a suggestion of illegitimacy but without that lead  its a long hard slog through the lists

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
Quicker to do on IGI, Falkryn  ;) They show the same number of births that year as SP.

A hundred names to the page option, and then search and find. There are no Alexanders born on that day in 1868.

Just working through 1869 now. There are some that year such as this likely illegitimate birth www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYYC-9NL

I will finish 1869 and post any others.

Monica

Added: That Alexander linked above looks to be the only one. The other one looks to be a son, with father showing as Alexander www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYBQ-JRC
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
Ive worked through the 68,69,71,72 and looked at the Alexanders born in June on family search- no luck and also those where I think are illegitimate.
Somehow I think my grf may have given a wrong dob on the 1939 census.... that wouldn't surprise me.
I think I will keep going and if need me I will check every Alexander born in Banff..... possible see yous in a few years time lol :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 21:35 BST (UK) »
The Alexander Edward born 6 June 1869 in Keith...I think died in Keith the following year  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 21:51 BST (UK) »
The Alexander Edward born 6 June 1869 in Keith...I think died in Keith the following year  :-\

Monica
Yes thats the same as I got.
I have also ruled out the following:
Alexander McWilliam born 16/04/1868 Keith and Borham to Elspet's
Alexander McWilliam born 15/02/1869 Kieth to Helen
Alexander McWilliam born to Anne also ruled out - his twin James survived.