Author Topic: Found in Manchester  (Read 19941 times)

Offline ago

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Found in Manchester
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 31 August 14 14:34 BST (UK) »
looking again at millymcb on page 2 showing a group of gentlemen in Manchester library, the site being in Portuguese, the second gentleman from the right in my opinion is ALBERT EINSTEIN,

Offline ago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 18 September 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
think I've taken this photograph as far as it can go in recognition, has anyone got any more possible names other than Brierley, laycock, Waugh,  had a few inquiries about selling this and had some very tempting offers. 

Offline Brit2015

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 22 September 14 05:26 BST (UK) »
The Portuguese article does mention Albert Einstein !!

This whole episode with the Manchester Literary Society photo has been such a trip,  I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the mystery be unraveled ... thanks

Offline ago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 14 November 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »
http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_text/Papers_Manchester_Quarterly_1902_v28_1000537395/113 just seen this relating to MILLYMCB post of the Manchester literary club photo, none of these look like any one in my photo maybe one, concerning some literary clue portraits by john Mortimer, names are Sam bamford, joseph chattwood, Charles Hardwick, john page, Edwin Waugh,(who might be in photo)ben Brierley, Richard Rome bealey, Charles swain, john Harland, Thomas turner Wilkinson, Alex Gordon Henderson, Jesse Percy stokes, David Morris, William Richardson, and not in photo Charles potter.

Offline ago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 16 November 14 08:48 GMT (UK) »
https://archive.org/details/papersman35mancuoft on this site papers of the Manchester literary club, on vol 34 1907-08 has a photo on page 107 (although not numbered) of a poet named William valentine burgess, this is the exact photo in my photograph only the background has been changed, and also underneath photograph taken by Charles ireland  here he is as seen in my photo,

Offline ago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 16 November 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
https://archive.org/stream/manchesterliter00mortgoog#page/n8/mode/thumb  and finely here they are, not all but the rest are in here somewhere, so it looks like they have been cut out and pasted onto photograph, going to be very busy for a while, will have to search for the reason,

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 17 November 14 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Here's a thought. I've looked at the panelling and the reflected panels in the mirror, also the coving and corbels and, along with the fireplace, they do not look English. Nothing to say that a British architect couldn't have been inspired by buildings on the continent, but my guess is that this is not in England.

AJ

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 17 November 14 16:33 GMT (UK) »
 The signature C Ireland is on the back.
A Charles Ireland ran a photographers at 25 Lower Mosley Street, Manchester, in the early part of the 20th c.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 17 November 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »
https://archive.org/details/papersman35mancuoft on this site papers of the Manchester literary club, on vol 34 1907-08 has a photo on page 107 (although not numbered) of a poet named William valentine burgess, this is the exact photo in my photograph only the background has been changed, and also underneath photograph taken by Charles ireland   here he is as seen in my photo,

I think that as Charles Ireland is named on the original, then there is good chance that it is W V Burgess.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)