Author Topic: Hetherington and Slattery  (Read 4249 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hetherington and Slattery
« on: Friday 16 November 12 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm posting from Ireland.  I have a reference to the marriage of James Hetherington to Elizabeth Slattery in April 1926 at St Oswald's, Gateshead.  James emigrated from Co. Kilkenny, Ireland sometime after 1911.  I found the marriage index reference on Ancestry but was hoping to find the parish record which might contain more useful detail.  I was also hoping to get birth records for their children, if any.  As far as I can see, Ancestry has few, if any, Durham RC parish records.  Am I correct?  If not, could someone please point me in the right direction.  If such records are not on Ancestry, is there another source?

Thanks in advance

Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hetherington and Slattery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 12 01:21 GMT (UK) »
I could not find the marriage on Durham Records Online or familysearch.org

However familysearch (Genealogical Society of Utah) does have records for this church but its marriages end 5 years prior to the Hetherington/Slattery marriage. That is assuming that the marriage was at St. Oswald's Wreckenton, Gateshead. The Tyne and Wear (Gateshead formerly in County Durham) Archives may or MAY NOT have the 1926 marriages. The records for 1926 may still be at St. Oswald's. I have given you a link that explains more.

Free BMD indicates that the marriage is between April/May/June of 1926 in the Gateshead area.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcatalog-search-api%3A8080%2Fwww-catalogapi-webservice%2Fitem%2F19231

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 November 12 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barryd
Many thanks for the information.  Looks like an online source is unlikely then.  The information on the marriage came from an annotation to James Hetherington's baptismal record in Co. Kilkenny.  It reads "married to Elizabeth Slattery at St Oswalls Hexem and Newcastle April 17th 1926".  I discovered Hexem and Newcastle is the diocese and it includes three churches named St Oswald, one of which is in Wrekenton, Gateshead.  Like you, I assume that is the relevant one since the marriage was registered in Gateshead.
It seems the only course is to get the civil marriage certificate.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 November 12 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hexham is 30 plus miles west of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The full information on 1926 marriages is fairly rare on the Internet. I agree you have done as much as you can do. It would be more cost effective just to buy the certificate!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 November 12 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Childrens Births are Reg under HEATHERINGTON, Mothers MN Slattery, 1927-1938
(FreeBMD)
(Cant post as could be living)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 November 12 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Trish

Thanks you so much for your help.  That certainly seems to be the family I'm after.  The slight change in the spelling of the surname was very important - using Hetherington produces no matches!  I should have thought of this too.  James Hetherington and his brother William emigrated  to England and Scotland, respectively.  The family lore is that one, at least, returned with the spelling of his surname altered. 

Thanks again for the assistance.

Kind regards

Dermot

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 November 12 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome Dermot :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 December 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I have to agree with searching using the 'a' in Heatherington. I have a Hetherington in my family tree and searched for months to find them only to realize that their surname was spelled with the 'a' on some records and without it on others.

Good luck
Mercel :-*
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ailwine

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, With reference to your post, James Heatherington and Elizabeth Slattery were my grand parents. If I can help you with any answers you can contact me at ailwine@hotmail.com. They did have 5 children if that helps.
Cheers