Author Topic: Sarah Ann Dolby  (Read 9665 times)

Offline daisycat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Ann Dolby
« on: Thursday 15 November 12 07:27 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on Sarah Ann Dolby. She was in a relationship with Edward Nucella Emmett, (who married Sarah Spottiswood in 1949 and moved to Bendigo Victoria in 1852, founding the Bendigo Bank) which produced three children in Adelaide, Australia in 1840's. I believe she was born in Threadneedle, London in abt. 1827. She ended up in Adelaide, dying in New Parkside. Her children were Sarah Edith Dolby Emmett, Mary Dolby Emmett and Edward Nucella Dolby Emmett, all born in the Adelaide area.
Mary Dolby Emmett was my grandfather's grandmother.
I have the following questions. If anybody could help with any one of these questions that would be great, also any other information. I am a beginner on this site and am not even sure which country this website is in. I am in Australia.

1. Was she a convict?
2. Who were her parents.
3. When did she arrive? What was the name of the ship and what is a good website to get this info?
4. Did she have any siblings?
5. Did she ever marry? I don't think she did because she was referred to as "Mrs Emmett" in her death notice (trove.com). 1899
6. What happened to her after E.N. Emmett left her? I have found one reference to Jane Dolby lining up for destitute relief, having three children by Emmett. But that is Jane, not Sarah.
7. Was her father or mother a convict.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ann Dolby
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 November 12 07:58 GMT (UK) »
A possible?  -

Christening
St Giles without Cripplegate

29 Dec 1822
Sarah Ann Dolby

Parents John and Ann of London Wall, occ lace maker
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 12 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Or maybe a better possibility date wise

Christening
15 March 1829 (bn 1 Feb 1828)
Bryaton Sq St Mary, Westminster
Sarah Ann Dolby

Parents Thomas and Rachel of James Street, occ servant
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 November 12 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thankyou for your information. I am not sure. I think the 1828 is more around the right area. She died at the end of 1899 (Im not sure exact date as I am not looking at my information, around Nov to Dec) at age 72. I thought her parents were Charlotte and Samuel, but now I am not so sure.

Lyn

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 November 12 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Possibilities:

Sarah Ann Emmett Death Adelaide 1899 Husband Edward Newseller(sic) Emmett;http://www.genealogysa.org.au/?option=com_search&ref=search&id=2&s=ZW1tZXR0&g=c2FyYWg=&c=&y=&r=MA==

Burial Sarah Ann Emmett Death 9/11/1899; Age 72; West Terrace Cemetery; Last Abode: New Parkside, SA http://www.aca.sa.gov.au/RecordsSearch.aspx

Sarah S Emmett Death; Adelaide 1861; Father Edward Nucella Emmett
http://www.genealogysa.org.au/?option=com_search&ref=search&id=2&s=ZW1tZXR0&g=c2FyYWg=&c=&y=&r=MA==

Marriage 1868 Adelaide Sarah Ann Emmett to John Palmer Dunk
http://www.genealogysa.org.au/?option=com_search&ref=search&id=3&s=ZW1tZXR0&g=c2FyYWg=&c=&y=&r=MA==

Cheers :)
cupoflife

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 12 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Edward Nucella Emmett's banking activities were connected with gold mining.  Maybe it's possible that Sarah Ann Dolby's parents were also part of the gold mining community ?   Not all immigrants to Australia were convicts - some came over to mine gold and other precious minerals.

Bearing in mind that Sarah Ann's children were born between 1843 and 1851, and Edward Nucella Emmett married Sarah Spottiswoode Forsyth Blackham in 1849, a marriage between them would have been difficult.  She assumed the name of the father of her children, but one or other (or both) of the marriages (if they took place) wouldn't have been legal.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 November 12 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply. It seems that Sarah and Edward were never married and that he married Sarah Spottiswood in 1849, overlapping the birth of children with the two mothers, then he left Sarah in Adelaide and moved to Bendigo with his wife and family.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 November 12 11:59 GMT (UK) »
There is comment on TROVE forum.http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=11960
Click on "Show Comments". Contact might be able to provide more info.

Edward Nucella Emmett had overlapping relationships and children with both  Mary Ann Dolby and Sarah Spottiswoode Blackham.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 November 12 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Neither South Australia nor Victoria were penal colonies so Sarah would not have been a convict if she emigrated to either.

I was going to suggest you search for information on TROVE but someone has tagged many items about Edward.  He was declared insolvent in South Australia.  Perhaps that is the reason he moved to Bendigo.  I haven't read them all so you may like to have a browse.  The Bendigo Bank was founded with one other and  purchased by the Bank of Victoria.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=11960
and
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0s71/

A brief bio...
http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/re-member/bioregfull.cfm?mid=355

EMMETT Edward Nucella arrived in SA 1841-04-02 aboard FOX from Launceston Source 6,7
EMMETT (Edward Nucella?) arrived in SA 1841-12-06 aboard HAWK from Launceston - Source 6,7
EMMETT Edward Nucella arrived in SA 1846-02-18 aboard UNION (2) from Launceston Source 4,6,7[First arrival 1841 FOX] and 38.

4  South Australian Birth Registration Certificates Index 1842-1928, Genealogy SA, 2012
6 Newspapers - shipping intelligence, imports, obituaries, etc
7 Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885, SAGHS, 1986
38 Index to Departures 1817-67, Archives Office of Tasmania

Departures from Tasmania
EMMETT Mr Edward Passenger LADY EMMA  23 May 1841 George Town to South Australia       CSO95/1/1 p82
EMMETT Edward    UNION  1 Feb 1846 Launceston to Adelaide  CSO20/23 p3

From Biographical Index of South Australians.  Not always 100% accurate.  I would suggest that much of this entry has been submitted.  There is an error with his place of death.

EMMETT Edward Nucella
Parent Henry James  Born 18 Feb 1817 LND ENG died 18 Mar 1874 Bendigo Vic
Arrived 1839 FOX Departed Victoria
Occupation Merchant, Auctioneer, Goldminer     Lived Adelaide.
Married  22 Mar 1849 Adelaide SA Sarah Forsyth nee BLACKHAM Parents Richard and Sarah Died  5 Sep 1902
Children Bertha Beatrice, Edward Blackham 1850-1850, Richard Spotiswood Wm 1852-1852, John, Robert, Sarah Spotiswood Grace 1855-1861, Lily Bannerman Blanche 1865-1866, Harriet HALTERMAN, Mary BEYERS

There is only one birth registered to Sarah DOLBY on my resource.

EMETT Mary Dolby
26 Oct 1847
Father Edward EMETT  Mother Sarah DOLBY
Birth Place not recorded  Ade 2/24

Unfortunately SAGenealogy databases are indexes only.

These deaths appear to be children from his marriage with Sarah BLACKHAM

EMMETT Edward Blackham
21 Nov 1850  7 months Status Child Relative Edward Nucella EMMETT [Father]
Residence Adelaide  Death Place not recorded   Ade 2/43

EMMETT Sarah S
24 Sep 1861  6 years  Status Child  Father Nucella EMMETT [Father]
Residence Melbourne [VIC]  Death Place Kent Town  Ade 9/293

From the book of  The Register Personal Notices

24 Mar 1849
On Thusday the 22nd instant, by Special Licence, at St John's Church, Adelaide by the Rev. W J Woodcock, E N Emmett Esq., to Sarah, daughter of Mr Richard Blackham

25 November, 1850
At Bent-street, on the 21st instant, Edward Blackham, son of Mr Edward N Emmett, aged seven months.

9 Dec 1851
On the 5th instant, at Bent-street, Grenfell-street, Mrs E N Emmett, of a son, stillborn.

5 Oct 1861
EMMETT - On the 23rd September, at the residence of W J Blackham, Esq., Kent Town, near Adelaide, of exhaustion after measles and ulcerated throat, Sarah Spottiswoode Grace, aged six years, the beloved and only child of E N Emmett, Esq., Melbourne.

I would agree with you that Sarah DOLBY and Edward N EMMETT were never married as I doubt he would be advertising his marriage in the newspaper along with the births and deaths of his children with Sarah BLACKHAM.  Have you considered that perhaps DOLBY was not Sarah's maiden name.  Perhaps she was already married when she met Edward.

From BISA -

BLACKHAM Richard born c1788 Died 16 Feb 1864 Adelaide SA buried WTC
Arrived 1840 on the BIRMAN
0ccupation Bookbinder  Lived Adelaide
Married 16 Apr 1816 Sarah nee SPOTTSWOOD born c1789 and died 25 Feb 1868 Adelaide.
Children Henry Hamilton1818-1900, Richard c1820-1900, Frederick Keane1823-1892, Albert c1827-1874, William George c1828-1910, Sarah Forsyth EMMETT 1830-.

Sorry if this post appears a bit jumbled...posted as I found the info and it is late for me...past my bedtime.

Cheers  :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk