Author Topic: Sarah Ann Dolby  (Read 9666 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ann Dolby
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 November 12 12:58 GMT (UK) »
This incorporation of the other half's name makes things very confusing.   Maybe the family used it as a substitute for marriage ?  ;D
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 November 12 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Apologies daisycat the link on my reply using the shrinking link facility is not linking the search page on TROVE with the results for "Edward Nucella EMMETT".  I suggest you search yourself using his name  - 
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisycat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 November 12 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for such good information. I had not considered that Sarah Dolby's name might be a married name. I think there is more to the story. My grandfather had Dolby in his middle names. He would have been 3 generations away from Sarah. He didn't know anything about his family past his parents. He said they did not discuss things like this and now I am starting to see why! I think there are more skeletons to uncover.

Another thing is that there seems to be a connection to three Dolby women, Sarah,Jane and Mary. Jane is located in an 1857 newspaper (trove) as applying for destitute relief and having three children by Emmett.

I am on ancestry, but just can't seem to find any arrival records for Sarah Dolby.

Thanks again for all the info from posters. Much appreciated.

Offline daisycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sarah, Jane & Mary Dolby. The same person?
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 November 12 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Any information regarding any of the above names would be good. These names have been mentioned in connection with Edward Nucella Emmett (my 3rd great grandfather). Area is Adelaide in 1840's and 50's.

I have posted a bit on the Sarah Dolby thread. My main question for this thread, is; would these be different people or the same person? I know Sarah had Mary Dolby with Edward Emmett (no marriage as far as I know), although I thought she had three children. Jane Dolby was applying for destitute relief with three children by Emmett in 1857 (Trove). I have also seen the name Mary Dolby in connection with him but I don't know where.

I can't find any information on their arrival in Australia, although I am on Ancestry.com. Im not particularly good at using the immigration search.

thank you for any help.

Daisycat

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 November 12 07:50 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a Sarah DOLBY arriving in SA however not all passenger lists survive.  It is possible that Edward met her in Tasmania.

There are resources for each State on the Australian Resources and Offers board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,399.0.html

Have you read all the items about Edward in SA on TROVE?

Possibly Sarah, Jane and Mary are the one and same person.
Link to 1857 item re Jane DOLBY , single woman who had three children to a Mr EMMETT.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0s79/

State Records of SA hold records for the destitute and assisted immigrants arrivals.  Once again the assisted immigrant database is not functioning >:(.
http://www.archives.sa.gov.au/

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah, Jane & Mary Dolby. The same person?
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 November 12 08:07 GMT (UK) »
There is no need to make another request.  It makes it difficult for those helping you..  Much better to keep in on the original thread which has all the background information.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,623952.0.html

I will ask a moderator to merge the two threads.

Cando

Offline daisycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 November 12 08:23 GMT (UK) »
This is hard to unravel. There is a definate reference to Jane Dolby with three children by Emmett in Trove 1856 and 1857, and also Sarah's death notice, she went by the name Emmett, although no marriage took place it seems. Sarah's daughter by E Emmett, Mary  had her birth  recorded. Sarah's son Edward died in 1911 at the age of 59 and his death was recorded with Sarah Dolby and Edward Nucella Emmett as the parents, although no birth was recorded that I can find.

Online Rhonda May

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 November 12 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi daisycat

This is an odd record?  Maybe Sarah DOLBY and Edward altered their surnames since Edward EMMETT married  before the birth of Sarah's son Edward.

Edward DOLBY b. 18 May 1851 Adelaide
Parents: Edward DOLBY & Sarah BRITTON
Ade/Book 3/Page 221

Rhonda

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 November 12 12:11 GMT (UK) »
2 Dec 1856
Two rations continued.     J. Dolby, single woman, three children by Mr.Emmett, 11, nine, and five years of age, all at home; never received any intelligence of Mr. Emmett.

This says it all......

23 Dec 1856
DESTITUTE BOARD. 
Monday, December 21.
Present— The Colonial Chaplain (in the chair), the Immigration Agent, and Mr. Stocks.
OFFICERS REPORTS.
Mr. Holthouse reported that he had forwarded the  account to Mr. E. N. Emmett, Bendigo, for rations supplied to the mother of his illegitimate children.

South Australian Register
Tuesday 30 June 1857
EMMETT'S CHILDREN.       
A letter was read from the Hon, the Chief Secretary in reference to the support being given to the children of a person named Emmett. but no reply had been received from Emmett. The Chief Secretary gave an opinion that no process could be served on Mr. Emmett from this colony which could compel him to pay for the support of his family.

Cando