Author Topic: LAURENCE family in Clapham in 1861 Census  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: LAURENCE family in Clapham in 1861 Census
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 December 05 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Valda.
You've done me proud, again!  Looks like young Reginald had rather a good start in life in sunny Clapham.  A footman, indeed...!
Lots of excellent family detail to look into.  Thanks very much indeed...
Keith
p.s. There seems to be a (large!)place called Belgrave House in Clapham Rd today which is split up into rented flats.  I wonder if that is old enough to have been there in 1871 - have been looking at Estate Agents on the web...

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 December 05 11:56 GMT (UK) »
No it was in Poynders Road. More this

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0sb3/

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 December 05 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Ah, that's me getting carried away again!  I've just realised that the place I was hankering after is actually near The Oval Tube Station.  Thanks for keeping my feet on the ground, Valda.
I've just had a look in a book I've got called:"London Suburbs" and it talks about the Clapham Park estate:..."the master builder Thomas Cubitt bought the estate in 1825... it was not completed until the 1850's and 1860's, by which time it was far and away the most fashionable suburb south of the river.  Cubitt himself lived here, his house stood in Clarence Avenue, one of the main roads in the estate, along with Poynder's Road, Atkins Road and King's Avenue, this last being where the only houses to survive from this time are to be found..."
Keith

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 June 07 13:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information you have given from the book "London Suburbs".  Would there be anything more you can tell me about Thomas Cubitt and his Clapham Park estate?  I have already learnt a lot just from google but would be pleased to learn some more.  My husband is descended from Thomas Cubitt's sister Mary Agnes who married John Cuthell.  She died when her two sons were young so they were raised by Thomas.  I am living the other side of the world and find it fascinating reading.
Thanks, Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 14:06 BST (UK) »
Carmel,
Am at present in Denmark for a family bereavement and subsequent funeral in Sonderborg on Saturday.  When I return to England next week I will have another look at that book and see whether there is anything more to add...
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 20:37 BST (UK) »
Thomas left a Prerogative Court of Canterbury will

Will of Thomas Cubitt, Builder of Denbies near Dorking , Surrey 10 January 1856 PROB 11/2225

City of Westminster Archives Centre: Diary of John Watson, builder, 1 January - 19 December 1849, with personal accounts 1849- 2 October 1851
Catalogue Ref. 2282
At the start of the diary John Watson was employed by Thomas Cubitt and during January and February he mentions working at Buckingham Palace and Osborne Houise, Isle of Wight. He also mentions Mr Cubitt visiting the Thames Bank works and speaking to him about leaving and seeking a reference. It was on 17 March that John Watson left Cubitt's employment to establish his own business. Subsequently the diary records details of deliveries of materials and client payments. Despite leaving Cubitt's employment he continued to do business with him and visited him at his Belgrave office.

Regards

Valda

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 June 07 03:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda.
We already have the will of Thomas Cubitt which took some reading as he kept changing his mind about which extended family members should benefit and wrote 4 codicils. The information re John Watson is good.  Are you related to him or is it just something you found while researching the local area? 
Regards, Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 June 07 19:34 BST (UK) »
I was responding to your message on this thread as I responded to the first request from Keith, so further messages come up from this thread in my 'inbox'.
I just did a further search for you in archive sources that are not indexed by Google.

Regards

Valda

Offline valfid

• RootsChat Extra
  • my ggggrandfather
    • View Profile
Re: personal messages "COMPLETED"
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 November 12 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm moderately intelligent but I CANNOT see how even to post a message!! I want to contact a forum of 2005 I came upon by chance concerning my family It is  Re: LAURENCE family in Clapham in 1861 Census but HOW do I send a message to Valda or to Keith Sherwood I could tell him all about those relatrions to Reginald Wilson, as I have his family tree and his sister is my grandmother.  THere! Have I send a message????   
Daniel Wilson Bishop of Calcutta
Zaccaria Levi of Venice